• The charming exterior of Butter and Fold attracts many customers at all hours of business. From the elegant teal and gold color scheme to the waft of freshly baked breads, it’s impossible to simply pass by without taking a peek inside.

A&E

Butter and Fold: The perfect place to satisfy your pastry cravings this fall

• At the Olivas Links Golf Course, on Sept. 21, 2023, the Foothill Technology High School (Foothill Tech) girls golf team faced off in a league match against Bishop Diego. The Dragons played well and won the match with an overall score of 249-303. Pictured above, Maddie Wicks 26 concentrates as she putts her ball toward the pin, finishing hole five with three over par.

Latest

Recap: Girls’ golf takes Bishop Diego 249-303

• On Sept. 22, 2023, Foothill Technology High School (Foothill Tech) competed in their first Tri-County Athletic (TCAA) league meet. Foothill Tech races with five girls on varsity, including Danika Swanson-Rico 25, Bennett Rodman 26, Kalea Eggertsen 26, Emma Anderson 26 and Isabella Efner 25. They warm-up on the start line, exchanging words of encouragement and waiting for the queue to begin the race.

Cross Country

Cross country starts off strong at first league meet of the 2023 season

• With beloved melodies and nostalgic anthems dating back over a decade, fans and general audience members alike enjoy singing along to her award-winning album, Fearless, from 2008.

A&E

The Eras Tour: an adventure spanning 17 years of music 

• On Sept. 21, 2023, Foothill Technology High School (Foothill Tech) boys water polo hosted a home game against their opponent Malibu High School (Malibu). With lots of splashing, Ethan Ortiz 24 attempts to find an open teammate to give Foothill Tech an advantage to win their league match.

Boys' Water Polo

Recap: Boys’ water polo bested by Malibu

• Students of Foothill Tech try to make button pins of their own design at Back to School Night. This college and career class provides an opportunity to learn life skills and creativity.

Latest

Foothill Tech welcomes parents and guardians at Back to School Night 2023

• In the teen show “The Summer I Turned Pretty,” an adaption of the popular Young Adult novel, protagonist Belly Conklin navigates her love life in a triangle between brothers Jeremiah and Conrad Fisher.

A&E

“The Summer I Turned Pretty”: In Defense of the Fisher Boys

• During F.I.R.E and lunch, members of the Associated Student Body worked hard to prepare an assembly line of delicious In-N-Out for the Class of 2024.

Latest

Class of 2024 connects through In-N-Out Burger and festivities

• On the sunny afternoon of Sept. 19, 2023 girls tennis played against the Villanova Preparatory (Villanova) School Wildcats. The tennis team huddles together and chants in a pregame ritual before beginning their matches.

Girls' Tennis

Girls’ tennis triumphs over Villanova in first league match

• The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom is the much anticipated sequel to the critically acclaimed and beloved video game The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild. Announced in 2019 by Nintendo at the Electronic Entertainment Expo, Tears of the Kingdom was released on May 12, 2023 after nearly four years of waiting. Since its release, the game has been met with widespread acclaim from critics and fans alike. The game directly follows the events of its predecessor, building upon them and expanding an already immense world. Writer Kelly Quinn shares his thoughts.

A&E

“The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom” is victory for gaming

• The three cakes that were reviewed were Lemon, Pumpkin Spice and Red Velvet all topped with a generous amount of cream cheese frosting.

A&E

A dive into Nothing Bundt Cakes: America’s largest specialty cake company

• Comprising of 12 songs, Olivia Rodrigos new album GUTS is her second studio album and was released on Sept. 8, 2023. Rodrigos first studio album, SOUR, released in 2021, was critically acclaimed and beloved by fans, making her second album long anticipated. Writer Isheeta Pal takes on the task of listening to GUTS and reviewing it, delving into its key themes and messaging.

A&E

Album Anatomy: “GUTS”

• A sign displayed in the store highlights the unique vendors in the store as well as promoting shopping from local artists.

A&E

Hey! Friends shows Ventura why shopping locally matters

• Christopher Nolan hits it out of the park once again with his brilliantly done biopic about the man who invented the atom bomb, Oppenheimer.

A&E

“Oppenheimer” is a mind-blowingly impactful film

• In Laufey’s latest album “Bewitched,” released on Sept. 8, 2023, she brings a jazzy and soothing take on the journey of love. Following the success of her previous album, “Everything I Know About Love,” her sophomore album comprises 14 songs, each bringing their own unique spin that is sure to bewitch the listener. Join writer Lily Toreja as she reviews each song and delves into their individual meanings.

A&E

Album Anatomy: “Bewitched” by Laufey

• On the eventful evening of Sept. 14, 2023, the Foothill Technology High School (Foothill Tech) Dragons faced off against Cate in their third league match. The matchup was very even and came down to the fifth and final set in which the Dragons were unable to secure the win. After bouncing and hitting the ball to set her rhythm, Malia Gray ‘24 (number 9) goes to serve, as her teammates and her alike hope for the best.

Girls' Volleyball

Girls’ volleyball endures a hard loss against Cate

• Jackson Basurto ‘24 and Alfred “Mason” Borkowski ‘24 are in full recruitment mode as students pass by their table. The club offered a fun way to engage with other students while doing something they all enjoy.

Events

Dragons find their connection at Club Rush 2023

• On the afternoon of Sept. 14, 2023, the Foothill Technology High School (Foothill Tech) girls golf faced off against La Reina at the Olivas Links Golf Course. Maddie Wicks ‘26 tees it up with hopes of sticking it close to pin and hopefully having a birdie opportunity. Wicks finished hole six with a double bogey and finished the entire course with a 56.

Girls' Golf

Foothill Tech defeats La Reina in league match

• Isabella De La Rosa 24 (number 3) and Charlis Swezy 27 (number 1) block from the net, while Malia Gray 24 (number 9) and Morgan Houston 25 (number 2) stay behind to cover any unexpected plays from the other team.

Girls' Volleyball

Girls’ volleyball spiked on by St. Bonaventure

• Students hit the ground running as the 2023-2024 school year picks up its pace. With this years You Belong Week taking place Sept. 11-15, 2023, as well as Club Rush on Sept. 15, 2023, Dragons are busy keeping up with all the events.

FDP-TV

FDP-TV: Season 2, Episode 2

New assembly bill jeopardizes Magic Mountain trip

This year's field trip to Magic Mountain may be threatened by Assembly Bill 1575, which reinforces a California law that makes it illegal to impose fees on students. Credit: Aysen Tan/The Foothill Dragon Press
This year’s field trip to Magic Mountain may be threatened by Assembly Bill 1575, which reinforces a California law that makes it illegal to impose fees on students. Credit: Aysen Tan/The Foothill Dragon Press

Foothill dragons may be saying goodbye to the school’s Magic Mountain trip.

With the possible institution of Assembly Bill 1575, Foothill’s Associated Student Body may be unable to afford the annual field trip this year.

AB 1575 reinforces existing legislation that says it is against the law for any public school to require students to pay a fee for either a mandatory or extracurricular activity.

“The letters that go home [for Magic Mountain] can no longer ask for a fee or contribution. They will have to ask for a voluntary donation,” ASB advisor Darcy Duffy said.

Although the bill does not prohibit Foothill from going on the trip, it forbids the school from charging students to go. Much of the money used for Magic Mountain comes from the small charge students participating are asked to pay.

The transportation for the trip alone costs between $7,000 and $8,000. ASB pays approximately $3,000 of it, while students fund the rest. {sidebar id=60}

If too many students choose not to donate, there will be an inadequate amount of funding for the activity.

“There is only so much money in the pot,” Duffy said.

In years past, students unable to pay the fee could apply for financial assistance, while students who simply didn’t pay could not go. But this year, Foothill must provide financial compensation for any eligible student who wishes to go and does not pay the fee, whether they are capable of paying or not.

Duffy is confident that the students will continue to donate money even though the fee will no longer be mandatory.

“Considering that the technology fee is a donation and we get a good amount of funds from that… I think we will be able to pull together enough money,” she said.

Principal Joe Bova agrees.

“Students understand that there is a change in legislation, and I think most will still give a donation,” he said.

Magic Mountain also recently raised the cost of each individual ticket, which will increase the donation requested of each student.

“I think last year we asked for $32, but this year Magic Mountain actually raised its ticket price, so that just adds to it as well,” assistant principal Katie Tedford said.

Duffy believes that the school will ask each student for about $40 to attend this year’s trip.

According to ASB representative Hayley Abourezk-Pinkstone, if the amount of money collected is close enough to the price of the trip, ASB will consider taking money from another fund, such as Renaissance, to cover the difference.

“It depends on how it goes asking for donations… ASB may take money from elsewhere if it is not completely unaffordable,” she said

However, if the total money from the donations and the ASB budget does not come close enough to the amount required, the Magic Mountain trip will be canceled.

The trip is generally offered to all students in tenth, eleventh, and twelfth grade who receive proficient on all of their STAR tests, to any class that receives a higher Academic Performance Index score than that of the class the year before them, or to the entire school, excluding freshmen, if Foothill reaches the goal designated by administration.

“It is a prize,” senior Sophia Horigan said. “It is a good pay-off.”

Bova believes that the school will not see a drastic change in test scores should they no longer be able to offer the Magic Mountain incentive.

“Most students try hard because they have a sense of pride in their own academic accomplishment and in their school,” he said.

Sophomore Madi Stevenson also has confidence in her fellow students and believes that test scores will not change, but will still be disappointed if the trip is canceled.

“Foothill is pretty driven,” she said. “But it is something to look forward to and it would be a letdown.”

Should the trip be canceled, both Bova and Duffy agree that an alternate prize, whether it be a cheaper trip or on-campus event, would be offered.

Some students, like junior Emily Sim, would not mind if the trip were changed.

“I don’t like rollercoasters… I’d actually kind of prefer the beach or something. Magic Mountain is also a lot of money – not just the tickets, but the food and stuff too,” she said

“I would not be disappointed,” junior Ami Ballmer said.

Other students, like junior Paul Stockdill, would be let down if the trip were cut.

“I would feel as if they ripped out my esophagus and plastered it on the side of the men’s locker room,” he said

“I’d like to go,” sophomore Joseph Albaugh said. “It is the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow.”

Editor’s note: This article was changed on Tuesday, September 18 at 6:10 p.m. to correct the cost of transportation for the trip.