A guide to applying for special programs at Foothill Tech

A+detailed+outline+of+how+to+apply+to+the+various+special+programs+at+Foothill+Tech.+

Alivia Baker

A detailed outline of how to apply to the various special programs at Foothill Tech.

Nicole Stidham, Reporter

The staff at Foothill Technology High School (Foothill Tech) have been working hard to develop programs and electives for students to experience new opportunities and learn new skills. The application process for special programs for the school year of 2021-2022, will be taking place from Feb. 1 to March 5 for freshmen, sophomores and juniors. 

Programs at Foothill Tech that require applications include ASB/Leadership, AVID, Bioscience Academy, DTech, Journalism and Yearbook

All programs listed above require a common application which students must complete only once, even if applying to multiple programs. The common application has a hard deadline of Feb. 19 at midnight and the link to the 2021 common application can be found here

Darcy Duffy, the career specialist at Foothill Tech, encourages students to, “complete the common application part 1 immediately as it is simple and straightforward, and be ready to provide the order of your preference if you are applying to more than one program.” 

The common application itself is clear and will take approximately 30 minutes to complete. The application covers basic information about the applicant, the applicant’s class schedule, information about the applicant’s parents and specific questions relating to specific programs. 

If anything is wrong or incomplete when submitting the common application students can email Duffy to update their application.

“Make sure to attend the information meetings held Feb. 10 for programs that interest you to get all the information and learn if a part 2 to the application process is required,” Darcy Duffy advises.

ASB/Leadership, AVID, Bioscience Academy, DTech and Journalism all require a second application in addition to the common application. Informational interest meetings were held on Feb. 10 and more information on requirements and part 2 deadlines can be found in this document.

In addition to the programs outlined above, Foothill Tech also offers pathways that do not require an application. These programs include Drama, Education, Ethnic studies and Social Justice, GraFX, Software Systems and Development and Speech and Debate. Students can sign up for these programs during course registration towards the end of the school year. 

If a student wants to apply to any of the programs described, fill out the common application by Feb. 19t and if a program requires a part 2, complete that as well by the specified due date on this document