“Ralph Breaks The Internet” smashes its way into the hearts of Disney fans.

Disney's new film

Disney's new film "Ralph Breaks the Internet" is a box office success. Credit: IMDb

Elie Bufford

“Ralph Breaks the Internet” is a charming tale about friendship, insecurity and change. As the sequel to Disney’s “Wreck-It Ralph,” it tells the story of two friends working through their issues and strengthening their friendshipthrough the lens of the internet. Packed full of internet jokes, Disney movie references and an abundance of cameos it’s an amusing and fun movie to watch.

“Ralph Breaks the Internet” follows video game characters Ralph and Vanellope while they are discovering the internet and its wonders while struggling with insecurities along the way. When a key part for one of their games is damaged, Ralph and Vanellope must venture into the internet to buy a replacement. They then embark on a long quest to attempt to get the money needed to buy the part. However, along the way, they discover that their goals do not align and are slowly driven apart. In a thrilling climax and a touching resolution, both characters tackle their insecurity and grow together creating a well rounded and meaningful story.

With a successful opening weekend, earning $84.5 million dollars, “Ralph Breaks the Internet” has done quite well. It has garnered positive reviews with a 7.6/10 on IMDb and 87% on Rotten Tomatoes, as well as being enjoyed throughout the Disney fan base.

Credit: Disney

With many stars in the cast-including John C. Reilly as Ralph, Sarah Silverman as Vanellope and Gal Gadot (“Wonder Woman”) as Shank, and all the Disney princesses, all voiced by their original actresses–it is no wonder why it was so successful. The princess cameo was one of the most anticipated aspects of the movie, and it certainly delivered. With self-aware jokes and enjoyable interactions as well as a sufficient impact on the plot, the appearance of the princesses was quite satisfying.

One of the most amusing features of the movie was the multitude of internet jokes and references. From pop up adds as characters to overaggressive autofill on search engines, the abundance of references served to make it relatable and hilarious to anybody who spends time on the internet.

The animation is well done and the visuals are creative and immersive. With settings from the inside of an online racing game to “The Dark Web,” “Ralph Breaks the Internet” creatively represents the internet as a physical place in a unique and engaging way.

Overall, “Ralph Breaks the Internet” is a fun lighthearted family movie that still manages to tackle serious topics. With great visuals, an engaging plot, fun characters and plenty of internet references, it is a great movie to go see for people of all ages.