Playoff Recap: Girls’ Golf season ends in CIF match at Soule Park

Claire Renar
Player hits a golf ball

The Foothill Technology High School varsity girls’ golf team finished their 2018 season at a California Interscholastic Federation (CIF) match at Soule Park. The Dragons competed against Peninsula, Santa Barbara and Simi Valley High Schools.

Sammy Fenton ‘20 and Hannah Hart ‘20 both shot 81 while Kelly More ‘20 recorded a score of 89. Riley Singleton ‘21 shot a 95 and Paris White ‘19 finished with 101 strokes to round out Foothill’s top five.

Despite shooting one of the best scores for the team, Fenton was not particularly happy with her score because “she knew she could have done better,” according to More. On the other hand, Hart was proud of her score of 81 because she believed that she “played up to the way [she] could have.”

Anna Pyron ‘19 also competed, but her score was disqualified due to her forgetting to sign her scorecard. Her score of 90 was replaced by White’s 101, costing the Dragons 11 strokes for the composite team score.

Overall, Hart felt that the team performed “pretty good“ and that the match was a “good experience” for the girls. Meanwhile, More said that their season as a whole was a good experience because they “had a really good bond this year and everyone improved their game,”

In addition to the team’s bond, More believed that they bonded more with varsity coach Janey Dunn.

“She was very open with us this year,” said More. “She felt more comfortable around us because we’ve been with her longer.”

Next season, the Dragons are looking forward to seeing how the “dedicated freshman […] rise up to the challenge” and performing “as well as they did this year,” according to Hart and More.