BREAKING NEWS: District, Ventura Police Department address potential threat to VUSD schools

Statement released by Superintendent David Creswell of Ventura Unified. Credit: Ventura Unified Facebook

Anna Lapteva

On Wednesday, Aug. 22, the Santa Paula Police Department (SPPD) posted a notice concerning a potential school safety concern. According to a bulletin and a Facebook post published by the agency, information about a former Ventura Unified School District (Ventura Unified) student was relayed to the department concerning the subject’s desire to commit a shooting at “an unspecified school in Ventura.” 

At 7:37 p.m., the district called Ventura Unified families to inform them that the Ventura Police Department and Ventura Unified School District are working together to ensure school safety; they are aware of the individual that was “mentioned in a flier put out by the Santa Paula Police Department.”

The district does “not feel that there is any credible threat to students or staff,” and is “continuing to look into all of the safety concerns.” A message was also published on the Ventura Unified Facebook page.

At 8:41 p.m., the Ventura Police Department issued a notice on Facebook about the situation, stating that upon “respond[ing] to the subject’s home,” it was “determined that no further action was necessary at that time.”

When the initial threats surfaced, the “Ventura County Sheriff’s Office removed all weapons from the subject’s home.”

The Ventura Police Department and the district request that anyone with credible information regarding risks reports to the Ventura Police Department.

Anna Lapteva, News Editor

In the spirit of mankind’s desire to transcend the limits, thinking and acting with passion and purpose.