“Avengers: Infinity War” unites heroes in the biggest crossover film yet

Credit%3A+Disney

Credit: Disney

Credit: Disney

Credit: Disney

Credit: Disney

Julia Fickenscher

From the world that brought you a superhuman with a patriotic shield, a god of thunder with a powerful hammer, a genius doctor with the power to alter time and an everyday kid with special spider powers comes “Avengers: Infinity War.” It’s a film that ties the heroes together while simultaneously managing to tear them apart. This new addition to the Marvel Universe takes a more dramatic turn, focusing on the development of the relationships between the heroes and the intense character development of the villain, all while still implementing the bits of comedy, action and banter that all fans know and love.

In the action-packed film, original and new Avengers combine to face one of the most powerful villains yet: Thanos. Thanos’ main goal has always been to wipe out half of the universe, and to do so, he needs the power of six different “infinity stones,” each possessing a different power. If Thanos collects all six stones, he becomes the most powerful being in the universe, making him essentially unstoppable. Humans, gods, and the Guardians of the Galaxy alike must come together to stop the greatest villain from causing the greatest trauma ever seen.

With the collision of unlikely heroes, the intense set up leads to one of the most dramatic climaxes and the fluid implementations of humor that every Marvel fan knows and loves. “Avengers: Infinity War” is one of the better Marvel movies to date.

Watching the interactions between heroes that you may not expect to unite—like Thor and Rocket or Dr. Strange and Spider-Man—not only fulfills every Marvel nerds dreams, but provides necessary humor in an intense atmosphere. The film has many action-packed moments, but also develops into the relationships of each character, providing intensity, occasional romance and infinite hilarity. Throughout the film, audience members are on the edge of their seats—laughing, gasping and even crying. It’s a whirlwind of emotions that many seek to experience when watching a film.

Because there is such a large cast and each cast member has such a big personality, there was less character development for the heroes. Instead, the movie focuses on surface-level interactions between the heroes and further developing the character of Thanos. Because this film is the first part to a two-part “Avengers” series, it is important that audience truly gets to know the intensity and power of this villain that 28 heroes struggle to fight. The character development of Thanos is apparent, and when combined with the comedy and intensity of hero interactions, the film is the perfect balance of emotions and focus upon the characters.

The Marvel movies are known to have an all-star cast, and this particular film may have one of the more star-packed casts to date. Some of the most notable performances are Benedict Cumberbatch as Dr. Steven Strange (from “Dr. Strange”), Chris Pratt as Starlord (from “Guardians of the Galaxy”), Tom Holland as Spider-Man (from “Spider-Man: Homecoming“), Chris Hemsworth as Thor (from numerous “Thor” films) and Robert Downey Jr. as Iron Man (from “Iron Man” and many other Marvel cameos). An all-star cast cannot function without an all-star crew, rightfully led by directors Joe and Anthony Russo.

“Avengers: Infinity War” is smashing box office records and receiving raving reviews from multiple websites and critics. The film earned an 84% on Rotten Tomatoes, as well as a 9/10 on IMDb, and it earned a record breaking $630 million worldwide upon opening weekend.

Whether you’ve kept up with every movie or have yet to watch a single film from the Marvel Universe, “Avengers: Infinity War” is truly unlike any film that has ever been released. Between the all-star cast, the collision of unlikely heroes, the development of a villainous character and the whirlwind of emotions everyone experiences, the film is one you won’t want to miss.