Review: Coco is an adventure you need to take

Credit%3A+Disney%2FPixar
Credit: Disney/Pixar

Bright. Brilliant. Beautiful. Bold. All theses words may cross your mind as you watch the animated film “Coco,” created by a collaboration between Disney and Pixar. As the film unwrapped, the theatre was filled with both tears and laughter. This film is a heartfelt production that stresses the importance of family and passions.

Coco” takes you to an alternate world full of bright colors and causes awe throughout the theatre. In this film, a young boy named Miguel is in a constant battle between following his passions or going along with his family’s blessings.

Miguel’s family is against any form of music due to a ban on it many generations before. His family lives without music, but Miguel has been playing his heart out in an attic without his family knowing. He decides that he wants to follow his musical idol, Ernesto de la Cruz, and “seize his moment.” Miguel takes a chance and tries to share his love for music, but it does not end well. He later ends up in the extraordinarily colored and lit up land of the dead, but needs to get out before he is stuck in the land forever.

As Miguel goes through his adventurous journey in this different realm, he is accompanied by Hector, a witty trickster, and some ancestors. Miguel unlocks many secrets about his family tree and tries to have his ancestors accept his desire to follow his dreams.

This movie hooked the viewers in every second by colliding beautiful scenery, humor and voices of amazing singers who played each character. Every scene in this film was dazzling, alluring and full of vivid lights and colors. This film was captivating from the beginning.

The director, Lee Unkrich, picked amazing actors and actresses that enchanted the audiences with angelic voices. In order to pull off this film appropriately, they needed to have Hispanic people who could carry a tune voice the characters. This film definitely did that. Playing Miguel, 12-year-old Anthony Gonzalez makes his first big break in the film industry with “Coco.” Gael García Bernal, who is well known in Mexican films, plays Hector in this film. The one we all know is Benjamin Bratt, an american actor who plays Ernesto de la Cruz. Bratt is known for starring in “Miss Congeniality”, “Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs”, and “Law and Order.”

This cast helped distinguish individuality between the characters and really helped create each personality. Adrian Molina and Matthew Aldrich also enhanced their character development through the screenplay. All contributed to the authenticity of this film, making it rich with humor and visual beauty.

Since “Coco” has been out, the gross income has reached $75,231,014 in just the United States. Just for the opening weekend, the film raised $50,802,605 in box offices. This movie is a huge hit with a rating of 95 percent on Rotten Tomatoes.

This film treated Hispanic culture with appreciation and created a beautiful representation of traditions. “Coco” covers all topics of passions, family, culture, life and death. All are mixed together to create an eye-catching family movie.

View Comments (1)