4 popular holiday drinks to try at Starbucks

The winter holidays are one of the most anticipated times of the year; not just for spending time with loved ones, but for the endless amounts of seasonal treats. But just because Christmas is over, doesn’t mean the food has to stop.

The gingerbread frappuccino is one popular holiday treat. Credit: Hanna Malco/The Foothill Dragon Press

Coffee, a luxury 83 percent of American adults indulge in each year according to a study from USA Today, has the potential to become a delicious holiday drink. Starbucks has undoubtedly mastered the year round coffee game, so here’s a list of some seasonal beverages to try during the holiday season.

You don’t have to be a fan of white chocolate to absolutely love the Peppermint White Chocolate Mocha. It’s a sweet and less chalky alternative to the regular Peppermint Mocha Starbucks offers.

Freshman Lauren Kearney enjoyed it because the drink has “a nice balance of the two flavors.” The white chocolate syrup blends deliciously with the peppermint, creating a balanced taste that’s not too overpowering, easily allowing you to finish the drink without feeling sick.

If you like chestnuts, you’re bound to enjoy the Chestnut Praline Latte. It has a nutty and candy-like flavor capable of sweetening up any unsavory day.

“When you first taste the whipped cream and then chestnut, and that’s what really makes the drink special from just a normal latte,” junior Manish Manwani said.

If you like eggnog but not coffee, then the Eggnog Frappuccino is heaven in a cup. The flavor is extremely strong, and overpowers the taste of coffee almost completely.

“Since I never grew up drinking eggnog, I didn’t really like it that much. I’m more of a fan of their other holiday drinks,” freshman Noelle Basta said.

Perfect for the winter season, the Gingerbread Frappuccino is an absolutely delicious seasonal alternative to a hot drink. Unlike the Gingerbread Latte, the frappuccino is creamier. If you want a more distinct gingerbread flavor, then definitely go with the hot latte.

Most drinks can be made hot, over ice, or blended; hot and iced tend to have stronger tastes of coffee, while blended is creamier – sometimes even non-coffee lovers enjoy them. And if you don’t like the drink you order, Starbucks will remake it or allow you to try something else.

Background Photo Credit: starbucks.com