Start the year laughing with these shows on Netflix

.

[dropcap size=dropcap]W[/dropcap]hat do we do to get over all this stress? Laugh.

Here are five of the best Comedy TV Shows on Netflix instant streaming to get you laughing, and get rid of some stress:

1. Parks and Recreation

“Parks and Recreation” is one of the funniest shows available on Netflix streaming, however it is not for everyone. If you don’t enjoy having to pay attention to understand a joke, then this show is not for you.

In the small town of Pawnee, Indiana, Leslie Knope (portrayed by Amy Poehler) is a “Parks and Recreation’ employee, whose passion is to smile and make her easily boring job fun. This comedy follows her life with its ups and downs.

“Parks and Recreation” is classified as a sitcom and a mockumentary, and is filmed like “The Office,” where the characters are interviewed during the show.

2. Psych

“Psych” is hands down one of the best crime-related TV shows I have ever seen. It is cleverly funny with countless references to the 80’s, and modern pop culture.

“Psych” tells the story of Shawn Spencer (played by James Roday), a 30-something loser, for lack of a better word. He doesn’t have a college degree, and he doesn’t have a job, but he does have a gift for finding small details and putting them together.

In the pilot episode, Shawn lies to the Santa Barbara Police Department, telling them that he is a psychic to get out of an arrest. The TV show follows him and his best friend, Burton Guster’s journey solving crimes.

3. Scrubs

Aside from being named the most medically accurate television show, “Scrubs” is a downright hilarious piece of television. The comedy that “Scrubs” revolves around can’t be defined by one type, but rather includes all of them, making it a great show for anyone.

It includes jokes which run throughout every season: practical jokes, medical jokes, political jokes, and more mature jokes.

“Scrubs” takes place at Sacred Heart Hospital, revolving around the lives of J.D. (portrayed by Zach Braff), Turk (portrayed by Donald Faison), and Elliot Reed (portrayed by Sarah Chalke). The three medical interns fight their peers and sometimes compete with each other to get to the top of the medical field.

4. 30 Rock

“30 Rock” is very similar to “Parks and Recreation.” The hit comedy series, written by, created by, and starring Tina Fey is made up mostly of political jokes, but also simpler jokes that are easy to understand.

“30 Rock ” is based on Tina Fey’s actual life events as a writer for SNL. The name of the show is even derived from the address of NBC studios at 30 Rockefeller Center in New York City.

“30 Rock” is a show for viewers who enjoy shows like “Parks and Recreation” and “Saturday Night Live,” because much of the humor is the same, as the writers worked together at NBC.

5. The Dick Van Dyke Show

“The Dick Van Dyke Show” is definitely the outlier out of all five of these shows. It takes place and was filmed in the 1960’s and is one of the first sitcoms on television.

Starring Dick Van Dyke and Mary Tyler Moore, this sitcom is a good old fashioned show. It’s filmed in black and white and has a type of humor that is fun for all ages.

It’s understandable that teenagers may prefer the more crude humor of “South Park” or “Family Guy,” but for a night with the family, “The Dick Van Dyke Show” is a perfect choice.

Collage Credit: Aysen Tan/The Foothill Dragon Press