Duffy reflects on becoming a mother, leaving ASB behind

Teacher Darcy Duffy will give up her position as ASB advisor next year in order to spend time with her growing family. Credit: Lauren Pedersen/The Foothill Dragon Press

As the due date of staff member Darcy Duffy’s baby approaches, so does her maternity leave, and the apprehension concerning her departure as Associated Student Body advisor intensifies.

“I love her; she was one of the main reasons I ran for ASB president,” said junior and the prospective Senior Secretary of ASB Mallory McPherson-Wehan.

Duffy’s activism at Foothill stretches beyond her job as ASB advisor; she is also the Bioscience Survey instructor, Biotechnology instructor and Leadership Bioscience Academy Director.

“I told her not to have a baby unless it was during the summer,” teased physiology teacher Mika Anderson, Duffy’s co-partner for the Bioscience Program.

Anderson has worked very closely with Duffy. She has observed her tireless efforts to help improve the program, and admires Duffy’s passion for the program.

“She’s like a superhero because I think she does a lot more for people and staff than people realize. She does a lot that goes underappreciated,” said Anderson.

Anderson is happy for Duffy now that she has decided to lighten her workload and allow more time for her growing family.

“[Her decision] means that she will be able to spend more time with her family, and focus her energy on what she loves: science and math. It’s hard to be a whole person with this job — mom, teacher, mentor,” said Anderson.

Duffy’s due date is March 26, and she hopes to return at the end of the school year, but hasn’t yet decided if she will come back.

Although it means giving up her position as ASB advisor, Duffy is excited to become a mother and believes it will bring her much happiness.

“I was passionate about being a mother,” said Duffy.

Her choice to end her two-year adventure as ASB advisor has filled Duffy with mixed emotions.

“It was a hard decision, and as much as I’m happy, it doesn’t mean it’s any… easier to let go of that role,” said Duffy.

Duffy mulled over the idea of taking a year off from teaching, but later decided she would be more financially secure if she returned. Her decision to take over Foothill’s Bioscience program as opposed to continuing her position as ASB advisor also took much consideration.

“Many logistics and other things go into being the ASB advisor,” said Duffy.

After weighing the responsibilities, Duffy decided that the Bioscience program is more structured and has less immediate issues to address than the ASB position.

“I decided it would be best to have an ASB teacher on campus everyday for the full-time position,” said Duffy.

Principal Joe Bova has known Duffy for half of his life. He was her basketball coach at Ventura High School where she was the team captain.

Duffy first reached out to the ASB program when she joined in high school, and Bova believes her experience in ASB provided the basis for her success as a teacher.

“She has always exhibited leadership skills, even as she was young,” said Bova.

Her primary ASB jobs are to oversee ASB funds and handle school expenditure with Othelia Blackler in the student store. Aside from that, she also established the rules and policies for the ASB program.

“She also has developed many programs for students on campus, utilizing activities and better incentives for the student population,” said Bova.

Bova believes that Duffy played a large role in getting 77 percent of students on Renaissance this year.

“She’s really good at what she does. She is good at getting us to do jobs and keeping us on top of things. Though, you can tell that she really likes what she does,” said junior Blake Silva, who will be next year’s senior class vice president.

Others also recognize her aspirations towards being a good mentor and role model for the students.

“She always puts the students first… she can be brutal and honest, but it comes from a place where she wants them to do their best,” said Anderson.

“She really cares for the student body. She will be missed,” said Sophomore Class President Carlos Cohen.

Duffy is passionate about being a teacher and about building relationships with students that last beyond graduation. She knew she wanted to become an educator when she learned in one of her sociology classes that society has a prominent influence over what students decide to do in life.

“If I couldn’t be the change, I could help foster the change,” said Duffy.