“Midnight Menu” is an electronic aural escape for listeners

Electronic artist TOKiMONSTA recently released her debut album, "Midnight Menu." Credit: Listen/TOKiMONSTA
Electronic artist TOKiMONSTA recently released her debut album, “Midnight Menu.” Credit: Listen/TOKiMONSTA

Los Angeles is well-known as an incubator for some of America’s most prominent and creative electronic artists. Recently, one of the lesser known players in LA’s electronic scene, an Asian producer named TOKiMONSTA (Jennifer Lee), has started to make waves and gain attention as one of the area’s most promising up and comers.

Her debut album, entitled “Midnight Menu,” is a trippy, trance-inducing mix of what can best described as cosmic hip-hop. Each and every track that comprises the hypnotic journey that is “Midnight Menu” feels distinct yet still part of a larger story told through TOKiMONSTA’S wonderfully rendered and expertly cut beats.

The numerous layers of her songs blend together seamlessly to create sounds that you can’t help but turn on, tune in, and drop out to. It’s like an acid trip minus the drugs. “Midnight Menu” provides the listener with an aural escape into the thoughts and dreams of the album’s creator.

One of the songs, “Cheese Smoothie,” begins with a undulating digital tear that rips up and down its wavelengths and eventually combines with a host of far more subtle, yet equally impressive, tones. TOKiMONSTA’s tracks range from up-tempo, in-your-face beats to quiet and relaxing spacey tunes that almost force the one to simply “go with the flow.”

“Midnight Menu” is one of those albums that’s best heard alone and in the dark. Putting in your earbuds and simply lying down seems to be what this release was intended for. If you’re looking for something to check out of reality with this summer, you’d be hard-pressed to find a better choice than “Midnight Menu.”