“Here” is here with an eccentric flair

Edward Sharpe and the Magnetic Zeros released their newest album "Here." Credit: Rough Trade Records
Edward Sharpe and the Magnetic Zeros released their newest album “Here.” Credit: Rough Trade Records

Their name alone is intriguing. Edward Sharpe and the Magnetic Zerosis not, in fact, led by Edward Sharpe, nor is he a real person. Edward Sharpe is frontman Alex Ebert’s alter ego, whom he created while recovering from a drug addiction. Ebert has a rich musical history. He was in two bands before Edward Sharpe and the Magnetic Zeros, and also has a solo career under the name “Alexander.”

The rest of the band are nine other musical hippies: Jade Castrinos, Stewart Cole, Josh Collazo, Orpheo McCord, Nora Kirkpatrick, Christian Letts, Seth Ford-Young, Mark Noseworthy, and Aaron Arntz. The band even has their own tumblr.

The opening track, “Man on Fire,” is a funky tune complete with didgeridoo. It sounds like everyone in the band is singing together, which makes the song sound almost tribal.

“That’s What’s Up” has an antique sound. Not led by Ebert, “That’s What’s Up” is a chorus of women, with a gospel-sounding aura.

Another retro-sounding song, “I Don’t Wanna Pray” is unique, it sounds as if it were from the 20’s. It has rebellious, chanting lyrics.

“Mayla” sounds like walking through a rainforest. A tropical, psychedelic tune with slow and mumbly lyrics. The chimes in the background add to the rich ethereal feel of the song.

“Fiya Wata” is one of the faster songs on the album.  It stands out because it’s more rock than the other songs, and it has a sunny vibe to it, sure to be a summer anthem.

The song “All Wash Out” is in fact “washed out”, a slow song with hazy lyrics and a crackly sound.

Edward Sharpe and the Magnetic Zeros have matured since their last album, with a new, more soulful sound.  “Here” marks the arrival of a new era for Edward Sharpe and the Magnetic Zeros.