Students celebrate their achievements at Renaissance rally (25 photos, video)

Sophomores Jesa Bryant-Simental (left) and Holly Guzman (right) have fun on an inflatable maze during Friday's Renaissance Rally. Credit: Felicia Perez/The Foothill Dragon Press
Sophomores Jesa Bryant-Simental (left) and Holly Guzman (right) have fun on an inflatable maze during Friday’s Renaissance Rally. Credit: Felicia Perez/The Foothill Dragon Press

Students were literally jumping with joy at the Renaissance Rally Friday afternoon. The quad was filled with jolly jumpers, an obstacle course, a dunk tank, and face painting to commemorate the students’ good grades.

Each semester, Foothill congratulates its students who earn a 3.0 grade point average or higher with an extended lunch filled with food, music and activities. The rallies are also a way to reach students who have not achieved “B” average.

“I had students this morning asking when their t-shirts were coming,” ASB Advisor Darcy Duffy said.  “They were really excited about getting to be a part of today’s activities because this is their first time on Renaissance.”

The event’s theme was superhero, and Foothill was embellished with a “Gotham City” sign at the front of the school, a Superman cardboard cut out, and ASB students dressed as different superheroes.

“I think it looks really cool,” sophomore Sage Fazzone said. “Last year was extremely fun and this year it looks even more fun.”

After receiving their burritos from Corrales, students enjoyed the different activities that the Associated Student Body had planned for everyone.

“The obstacle course was my favorite,” freshman June Pederson said, “and I definitely loved the burritos.”

Some teachers volunteered to take shifts in the dunk tank, and their students were able to get “revenge” for the tests and homework they received.

“It was my first time in the dunk tank, and I was trying to egg them on,” health and government teacher Chris Prewitt said.  “If it was a boy trying to dunk me, I would say ‘Oh you throw like a girl,’ or say ‘Man you can’t do it.’ It was really fun trying to mess with them.”

Renaissance rallies are a day when students can take a break from stress, and have some fun at school.

“It is great to be able to play with your teacher, so have fun,” life sciences teacher Mika Anderson said. “I think that ASB did an amazing job, as always.”

Credit: Felicia Perez and Aysen Tan/The Foothill Dragon Press

Footage taken by: Bridget Parrino and Emily Chacon

Edited by: Jackson Tovar