Opinion: With the seasons — sunshine, senioritis and productivity

Lily Toreja
The warming weather and sunnier days ahead may be the boost of motivation students need to finish the year strong.

The early-morning heat gradually begins to replace chilly, overcast mornings — an exciting sign of the upcoming summer. Longer days of sunshine between the start of quarter four in April and the highly-anticipated end of school in June certainly bring an optimistic mood about campus. Southern California climate sits blissfully between those of extremely hot or cold locations, and any deviation from year-round sunny skies and mild temperatures is certainly cause for conversation. 

Noticing the surprise warm temperatures the week of April 8, 2024, with highs reaching the 80’s, I couldn’t help but wonder if people on campus seemed happier because of the warm weather or the soon-approaching end of school — or, the more probable answer, both.

To my answer, science provides evidence. Longtime medical advice asserts that optimal intake of vitamin D, a nutrient which fortifies bones, supports immune health and promotes muscle and brain activity, can be achieved by daily sunlight exposure. Through skin absorption, sunlight improves mood by creating vitamin D, which initiates the production of dopamine. Provided that you also maintain a healthy lifestyle, your body will more regularly create vitamin D and sustain a pleasant mood.

Just as the weather heeds summer’s beckoning call, upcoming Advanced Placement (AP) exams and finals come with the settling dread of academic trials. While the common strategy is to stay up late to study, one may consider studying with the sun in mind. According to the University of Arizona, having a change of (outdoor) scenery for one’s studying and academic preparations can better stimulate the mind and increase personal energy. 

Though noise and visual distractions can be more unpredictable in an outdoor environment, one may opt for headphones or situate themselves further away from other people or activities. For seniors struggling with ever-present malady of senioritis, studying at a park with friends and snacks can be a fun way to wrap up studies while enjoying beloved company. Or, rather than  studying fully outdoors, taking a walk outside and getting fresh air between studying hours are great ways to take a break from cramming while getting some exercise.

Additionally for seniors, the relieving end of college application season spurs the excitement of leaving one’s hometown for a new journey, near or far. Whether we feel ready to say goodbye or are still baffled at how fast the year has gone, I think we would all benefit from a little extra time savoring the sunny coasts and picturesque mountaintops of Ventura, Calif.