Cross Country performs exceptionally well at Clovis Invitational and Mt. SAC Races

The boys junior varsity race started fast with Brandon Wofford 25 fighting hard for a spot in the upper pack during the opening of his race, hustling as he came down the airstrip to the start of the valley loop.
The boys’ junior varsity race started fast with Brandon Wofford ’25 fighting hard for a spot in the upper pack during the opening of his race, hustling as he came down the airstrip to the start of the valley loop.
Dane Dodos
Becca Walker 24 starts out strong in the girls varsity race. She pushes to secure her spot early, so she can settle into her race pace and begin taking on the challenging course before her.
Clovis Invitational

After months of training and hard work, the Foothill Technology High School (Foothill Tech) cross country team readied themselves at the starting line, ready to compete in the esteemed annual Asics Clovis Invitational on Oct. 7.

Clovis has traditionally taken place at Woodward Park, with cross country teams from all over California come eager to attend this populated meet experience. After a five-hour bus ride full of anticipation and excitement, the runners were on their toes upon arrival, ready to race their hearts out and gain some personal records.

As Keera Wallace ‘26 stated, “There were definitely a lot of nerves going into the race from all around the team. This was a much bigger race than I’ve raced all season, but we were also really excited.”

In the previous year, 2022, the boys cross country team earned fifth place overall at the Asics Clovis Invitational. However, this year they stepped up their competitive endeavors and crushed last year’s rank, placing 1st place as a team overall. This year they were competing against 38 schools and Foothill Tech was ready to run.

Braeden Elliot ‘24 spoke of the eagerness of the team, “Everyone on the team stepped up to the challenge and even took some risks to race their best. Even at such a large and difficult race environment such as Woodward Park.”

From the boys team, the top runners were Chance Leandro ‘25 who had a time of 16:06.7, placing him at 12th overall, followed by Conor White ‘25 who placed 20th overall with a time of 16:24.9. Leandro and White crushed their previous records in this race, which left them with new personal records.

Elliot reflected on his time with his team, “The trip is always an exciting team building experience. As an overnight trip the team is together even more than usual and always creates some great memories and stories.”

Before Clovis, the boys team was ranked 10th in state and seventh in the southern section, although, after the success of Clovis, they moved up to fifth in the southern section, overtaking schools such as Oaks Christian and South Pasadena High School.

The girls team placed 10th overall, one spot lower than the year prior where they placed ninth. Numerous athletes earned personal records, the first of whom was Rebecca Walker ‘24 who placed 19th with a time of 19:42.4 from a pool of over 200 other runners. “I think the biggest expectation for this race was to learn the course and learn how to race in a big competitive racing environment … our team is really lucky to get this type of racing experience,” said Walker.

Behind her came Wallace in 26th overall with a personal record of 19:57.8, beating out her previous time by a mere 23 seconds.

According to Wallace, “Clovis was just amazing. The excitement, thrill, and fun will forever make Clovis memorable to me.” However, the Dragons work is not over yet as their next race will be the highly anticipated Mt. SAC Cross Country Invitational on Oct. 20.

Becca Walker ’24 starts out strong in the girls’ varsity race. She pushes to secure her spot early, so she can settle into her race pace and begin taking on the challenging course before her. (Dane Dodos)
The Mt SAC. cross country invite is the largest cross country meet in the world, having thousands of athletes participate annually. It has been hosted at Mt. SAC Antonio College for 75 years.
Mt. SAC Races

The heat roared on Oct. 20, 2023, welcoming runners from all over California to the treacherous race course of Mount Sac. in Walnut, California. The course, hosting thousands of cross country runners in all grades, is notorious for being a hard, hilly course with no forgiveness. The Foothill Technology High School (Foothill Tech) Dragons were ready to show off their hard work, they were ready to race.

Foothill Tech’s boys team raced in race number 43, the boys sweepstakes race for high schools divisions three, four, and five, a three mile race filled with dusty hills and unforgiving terrain. The boys team did exceptionally well. Chance Leandro ‘25 placed first for Foothill Tech and 11th overall with a time of 15:48. Next came Braden Elliot ‘24 who took second for Foothill Tech and 26th overall at 16:17.

These two were followed by Conor White ‘25 who placed third for Foothill Tech and 50th overall with a time of 16:40 along with Viggo Bortolin ‘27 in fourth for Foothill Tech with his 70th place overall and a time of 16:56. In fifth for the team was Jaden (Clobber) Prillhart ‘26 who placed 124th overall with a time of 17:43 and Nathan Leedy ‘24 who placed sixth for Foothill Tech, 134th overall, a time of 18:01. Together, these six Dragons came together to allow Foothill Tech to take sixth place as a team overall in the sweepstakes race.

On the girls’ side, they raced in race number 38, the Varsity Blue race consisting of division three, four and five high schools; a three mile race. Doing fantastically, Keera Wallace ‘26 placed first for Foothill Tech and third overall with a time of 19:59. In second for Foothill Tech was Isabella Effner ‘25 who placed 28th overall at 24:01. In third for Foothill Tech was Bennett Rodman ‘26 who placed 39th, running a time of 25:16. Foothill Tech’s fourth place runner was Kaylyn Chavez ‘26 who placed 42nd overall with a time of 25:42. Unfortunately the team did not place, but they did exceptionally well in their racing endeavors.

The cross country team hopes to continue seeing their successful results in the future of their season, hoping to carry on last year’s tradition and move onto state. As of the near future, their next race is on Nov. 2 at Camino Real Park in Ventura, their home course. A home course advantage with many hopeful personal records to be made.

The Mt SAC. cross country invite is the largest cross country meet in the world, having thousands of athletes participate annually. It has been hosted at Mt. SAC Antonio College for 75 years. (Dane Dodos)