Dragons express their gratitude during Teacher Appreciation Week

Chloe Zarrinkelk

Once a year, students, administration and parents alike are encouraged to share the love they have for the teachers in the Ventura Unified School District.

Maggie Lay, Reporter

As the school year approaches its end, students looked back at the year with great gratitude towards their teachers. Foothill Technology High School (Foothill Tech), celebrated Teacher Appreciation Week from May 8, 2023 to May 12, 2023. 

During Teacher Appreciation Week, students showed their appreciation to teachers for their hard work. Parents and students thanked them for teaching, mentoring and supporting hundreds of students over their time as an educator. 

Teacher Appreciation Week is used to give back to teachers, showing recognition with small gifts and gestures. Associated Student Body (ASB) advisor Melanie ‘Captain’ Lindsey sent an email reminding students of the celebration, writing about the different ways students could express gratitude towards their teachers, and also informing that Wednesday was a “dress like your favorite teacher day,” so students could express their appreciation by commemorating specific teachers. 

While the week’s main focus was teachers, other members of the staff and faculty were included in the festivities and gift-giving. Students took time out of their busy schedules to give something back to the staff at their school, most of the gifts were personal and thoughtful so that each teacher was satisfied with their present. 

Quan Nguyen ‘25 brought homemade egg rolls to school to express his appreciation. His treat was specially prepared for his teachers, he explained that, “It was a recipe passed down for generations of my family from my great grandmother, to my grandmother, to my mother and then finally to me. It took days of preparation to fully prepare like 70 eggrolls to handout.” 

The week was a memorable one, giving students a chance to give back to their teachers. 

Emiliano Ferro ‘25 highlighted the importance of the week, saying, “It’s important to have this teachers appreciation week because we don’t really appreciate our teachers throughout the year. I think this week can really help students to think to appreciate our teachers and what they really do for us.” 

As the week closed, students were able to make their teachers feel special, giving back to them for their perseverance throughout the school year.