Dragons are virtually welcomed to the new school year

Siena Hager

Foothill students adapt to online learning as the 2020-2021 school year begins.

Adler Striegel, Assignment Editor

Instead of stressing over what new outfit to wear on the first day of school and wondering how they will possibly be able to find all of their classes, Dragons this year are going back to school from the comfort of their own home. Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, Dragons aren’t able to go back to face-to-face instruction, however, teachers and administrators have worked hard to ensure that students will have an impactful learning experience from home. 

Beginning Aug. 18, 2020, instruction will be virtual, over Zoom meetings and other online platforms. For the first two weeks, Foothill Tech will be following a different online schedule than that for the rest of the first semester. For the weeks of Aug. 18 and 24, classes will alternate with three periods each day. Each class will only meet for 20 minutes and the school day will end at 9:15 am, or 9:40 am for students who are enrolled in a seventh period.

During the week of Aug. 18, students will attend periods 1, 3, 5, 7 on Tuesday and Thursday and periods 2, 4, 6 on Wednesday and Friday. For the week of the Aug. 24, students will attend periods 1, 3, 5, 7 on Monday and Friday and periods 2, 4, 6 on Tuesday and Thursday. 

During the week of Aug. 24, there will be separate times for each grade level to pick up the materials for their classes. Times for pick up will vary depending on the first initials of their last name. In addition, there will be an online orientation for all incoming freshman on Wednesday, August 26th.