Ventura Unified to move to online education until January 2021

Olivia Zoll

Ventura Unified teachers, administrators, school board and community members discuss the appropriate way to reopen schools in the fall.

Olivia Zoll, Reporter

On July 13 and 14, with Town Hall representatives and Ventura Unified parents, three meetings occurred to inform parents and answer any concerns regarding the start of the 2020-2021 school year in the upcoming fall. A family survey was held thereafter, with three options to choose from. The options included: partial reopening with half of the students going half of the week, students going at different time slots in the day and the option to go completely online. 

A statement was sent out that stated most of the superintendents in Ventura County had opted for distance learning. Superintendent Rodger Rice stated that Ventura Unified was not on that list yet because a discussion with the Board of Education was still yet to happen.

The analysis of the family survey was brought to a special board meeting occurring Friday, July 17, which parents were invited to watch live. During this meeting, the Ventura Unified School District Board of Education voted 5-0 to move the district online for the first semester of the 2020-2021 school year, with the hope of developing a model to bring students physically back for the second semester. This will depend on the current guidelines and rules set in place.

Rice assured that “we know this model is not what some of our families were hoping for; however, we are dedicated to providing a robust distance learning model for our students.” He also assured that distance learning has been redefined from the end of the 2019-2020 school year, based on feedback from staff and students. Teachers have been training on new platforms and building curriculums.

Distance learning is set to commence on the regularly scheduled opening date, Tuesday, August 18, 2020.