Make traveling easier with three simple tips

Learn the differences between TSA and TSA PreCheck as well as how to beat airport-induced stress.

The airport doesn’t have to be a stressful place; with simple preparation, you can be calm in a herd of chaos.

Lillian Li

Lillian Li

Lillian Li

Amanda Perez, Writer

The world works in mysterious ways. Vacation is supposed to be relaxing and rejuvenating; however, if not prepared or informed, a trip to the airport can be a stressful process. Traveling may lead to sweating (in numerous areas), lack of breath, eye-twitching, or even hyperventilating. Of course, this can all be avoided with some helpful tips that make traveling less of a headache.

Tip 1

First things first, don’t wait until the last minute to pack for your trip. Plan out what you need ahead of time—even make a list. This way, if you need to wash your favorite shirt or pick an item up from the store, you will have ample time to do so.

Next, check size restrictions for carry-on and checked luggage because they may vary between airlines.

Tip 2

If you pack electronics in your carry-on bag, place them where they are easily accessible because they will need to be taken out for screening, except when going through TSA PreCheck.

If you plan on bringing liquids in your carry-on bag, follow the 3-1-1 rule: 3.4 ounces per container, a one-quart size bag and one bag per passenger. Grab a quart-size resealable bag and anything 3.4 ounces (100ml) or smaller that fits inside that bag may be brought on the plane. Any liquid greater than 3.4 ounces must be carried in a checked bag. If you require medication, a TSA notification card or medical documentation of your condition is needed.

Tip 3

Lastly, according to Transportation Security Administration (TSA), children under 18 are not required to provide identification if traveling with a companion in the United States. However, always check the airline you’re traveling with to be sure.

Amanda Perez
Compare the differences between TSA and TSA PreCheck

Airports are already scary enough with tons of people traveling from place to place—sometimes it can be so overwhelming that you don’t remember why you’re flying in the first place. Yet, when you reach your destination all becomes clear. The airport doesn’t have to be a stressful place; with simple preparation, you can be calm in a herd of chaos.

Amanda Perez, Writer

Second-year Features writer