BREAKING NEWS: Superintendent David Creswell informs of his intent to resign following growing community concerns

Superintendent+David+Creswell%27s+email+circulates+through+the+staff+of+Ventura+Unified.+

Superintendent David Creswell's email circulates through the staff of Ventura Unified.

Jocelyn Brossia

In the shadow of surmounting concerns revolving around a controversial sermon he gave in 2016, Superintendent David Creswell sent an email to the Ventura Unified School District (Ventura Unified) staff informing them of his plans to work “with the school board on an exit plan that will include his resignation.” The email was sent at 2:58 p.m. on Nov. 30.

“I am proud of everything that I have said and done here in VUSD, and have enjoyed working with a gifted group of people,” Creswell wrote. “I know that you will continue to work for the future of every student.”

Multiple community members, students, Ventura Unified staff and parents have called for Creswell’s resignation, including School Board Vice President Mary Haffner and retired Ventura Unified administrator Michael Tapia.

Creswell’s resignation comes merely a year and a half after previous superintendent Michael Babb was relieved of his duties in May of 2017.

An official public statement from the district or Creswell himself has yet to be released.

Superintendent David Creswell’s email circulates through the staff of Ventura Unified.

Jocelyn Brossia, Editor-in-Chief

Advocate of subtitles, proper sex education, and the Oxford comma

4 Comments

4 Responses to “BREAKING NEWS: Superintendent David Creswell informs of his intent to resign following growing community concerns”

1. Anonymous on November 30th, 2018 4:05 pm

Absolutely dumbfounded. Creswell has been a blessing in our district. I have a feeling that a particular student found this sermon only to make Creswell look bad. I’m very upset.

2. Mack on December 1st, 2018 12:12 pm

I too am VERY disappointed in the perceived agenda of the FTHS LGBT club/community. At a time when the LGBT community is demanding equality and acceptance it appears they cannot accept someone else’s values or comments like Mr Creswell’s. It’s too bad that people cannot voice their thoughts without someone going off the deep-end with it. It’s time for everyone to cool their heads and start showing some love, forgiveness. Acceptance and patience to all!

3. Frank on December 5th, 2018 1:15 pm

I’ve heard great things about him but his words did a lot of damage that he would never have recovered from. LGBTQ+ youth deserve a superintendent that supports and valaue them fully. Creswell violated that trust by his vile words. His sermon was dehumanizing to those kids. He did the right thing for the district by resigning.

I’m personally at my wits end with all of his apologists saying it’s not a big deal and people should be able to say whatever they want. Imagine if he spoke the same way about minority students or those with disabilities. The way he spoke of these kids was so dismissive and heartless we should gladly take his resignation. We can do better and we deserve better.

4. Bill Henderson on December 30th, 2018 9:56 pm

This guy has lied his way into this position and I’m surprised if he doesn’t try to lie his way out.