Pens in hand, seniors commit to next four years on academic signing day

Bridget McGuire and Nathaniel Russell '18 sign to their colleges. Credit: Jason Messner / The Foothill Dragon Press

Jill Vallance

On the second annual Academic Signing Day, 107 students of the Foothill Class of 2018 officially committed to attend and graduate from the college they will be enrolled in next year. Seniors who signed up for the event were called up to the stage where they would have a small description read by either teacher Melanie “Captain” Lindsey or Justin Frazier. The little memo for each student included what school they will be attending, their most inspirational teacher and their legacy.

The event was organized by Associated Student Body (ASB) student Nicole Mercer ‘18. ASB students were helping set up this event from the start of the school day; they attached personalized, color-coordinated balloons to chairs, put up the Foothill backdrop and set up tables.

Many parents, upperclassmen and underclassmen gathered in the quad to watch the seniors sign.

Thea Wulff ‘21 thought “it was great everyone in the whole school got to see the seniors going up there and got to hear which schools they were going to.”

“It inspires the students to do better in school and be there one day,” says Jimena Perez ‘20.

“An academic signing day doesn’t inspire you to go to college, but it does give you something to look forward to.”

Overall, seniors were given motivation to pursue greatness as they move on to the next step of their lives.

“Pens in hands, ladies and gents, here’s to four more amazing years,” Lindsey said.

Jill Vallance, Reporter

I like news writing and living my best life.