Recap: Week of April 13 in Foothill Swimming

During the week of April 13-20, 2018, the Foothill Technology High School swim team participated in two meets: vs. Malibu High School and La Reina High School. The girls’ team was victorious in both meets with scores of 93-77 against Malibu and 102-69 against La Reina, respectively. However, the boys’ team faced defeat against Malibu, as they lost 105-65. They did not compete against La Reina as a result of their lack of a boys’ team.

According to Giovanna Postma ‘21, “Malibu was a tough team to compete against.” Last year, the Malibu Sharks won their league while the Dragons finished second. Because of this, Postma believes that “winning [the] meet was a huge game changer” that might result in the team being able to win league.

Gavin Stewart ‘18 stated that the boys’ team “did well” despite the loss and that their biggest strength continues to be “cheering each other on and supporting each other.”

Stewart also believes that the team needs to “work on [their] technique a little bit more” but overall “[they’re] Dragons: [they] have no weaknesses.”

In the La Reina meet that took place on Friday, April 11, Foothill “easily defeated” the Regents, according to head coach David Wallace.

Postma said that the Dragons “have individuals that are strong in every event” and that this has helped attribute to their success thus far.

During the training for California Interscholastic Federation (CIF) playoffs, the team will “concentrate on the strokes that [they] will perform [during] league meets” while “paying particular attention to turns and breakouts,” Wallace explained.

They will implement the skills acquired in these trainings at the next meet at the Ventura Aquatics Center on Wednesday, April 25, at 2:30 p.m.