Dr. Strange is a mind-bending addition to Marvel Universe

Credit: Marvel Studios

A car crash, a broken soul, a budding romance and a new dimension accessed only by those with open minds that challenge reality. “Dr. Strange” takes the audience through both a physical and moral journey, making it yet another captivating film produced by Marvel Studios.  

Dr. Steven Strange, portrayed by Benedict Cumberbatch, is a surgical genius. Not only is he the most talented neurosurgeon at his workplace, but he is capable of curing seemingly impossible cases. He enjoys flexing his brain and absorbing all knowledge humanly possible. However, no matter how smart he appears, he makes the devastating mistake of speeding around cars on a hill, causing him to spin out of control and crash into a deep pool of water.

Strange finds himself in a hospital with dozens of screws placed into his hands, indicating serious nerve damage. Because his life revolves around his work, Strange is determined to fully recover. Despite his best efforts, all seems hopeless. Friend and former lover Christine Palmer, portrayed by Rachel McAdams, tries to help Strange move on, but he refuses to give up.  

Once he hears of a former patient’s magical recovery, Strange seeks him out. The man shares how his miracle occurred: through “training” from the “Ancient One” in Kamar-Taj. Strange’s journey begins, and once tracking down the “Ancient One,” also known as Mordo, he realizes this healing is unlike anything he has been able to comprehend in the past. Unlike typical methods of recovery, this work involves different dimensions, spells and other forms of “magic” that separate the mind and soul from the rest of the physical world.

As the movie progresses, Strange becomes more and more advanced in his practices. However, once discovering that a former student of Mordo is seeking to open up a dark dimension and ruin mankind, he realizes that this journey is about more than just his personal healing.

The concept of a “new dimension” and “magical powers” may seem difficult for the audience to believe and take seriously, but due to the impressive cast and crew, “Dr. Strange” keeps people captivated throughout the film.

Oscar nominee Benedict Cumberbatch, known for lead roles in “The Imitation Game” and “Sherlock,” plays the role of Stephen Strange. Academy Award winner Tilda Swinton, known for her role in “Michael Clayton,” portrays Mordo.  

The impressive cast list, along with the directing of Scott Derrickson, made for an incredible film. It perfectly incorporates humor, drama, action and heartfelt moments. There are times where the audience is on the edge of their seats, near tears, and laughing until their stomach hurts. The best movies never over-do one particular emotion, but let each shine throughout different moments, and “Dr. Strange” does exactly that.

“Dr. Strange” so far has been very successful. The film earned an 8/10 on IMDb, as well as a 90 percent on Rotten Tomatoes. So far, overall opening weekend ticket sales have been booming at over $85 million.

Marvel Studios always seems to create masterpiece movies, and “Dr. Strange” surely lives up to the standard. While unlike any of their previous movies, with mind-bending twists at every corner, the familiar sense of action, humor and intensity is all incorporated perfectly. If you do decide to go see the film, be sure to stay all the way through the end credits; some sneak peeks to future Marvel Films are included!