News Brief: Dragon Athletics Council to advise ASB on sports issues

Since the beginning of Foothill Athletics in 2014, the logistics of running the program have been run by Foothill’s Associated Student Body (ASB) and Athletics Director Emily Stevens. The school believed the time had come for Foothill athletes to have a direct say in how their programs are ran. So they introduced the Dragon Athletic Council, also known as the DAC, which will allow student athletes to have a voice and have their needs heard and met.

The DAC is comprised of a group of student representatives from each Foothill sports team. The students hold positions such as President, Vice President and so on. The entire project will be presided over by its President, senior Daniel Holst.

Because it’s the pilot year of the council, the student representatives were chosen by Stevens herself and the teams’ coaches because not all teams are in season. In the future the players will be voting and choosing who will represent them.

“This initial year it was coaches and the Athletics Director’s choice, but in coming years the team will vote. We had to get the council in place for this first year so we couldn’t wait for winter and spring teams to form and pick [representatives],” Stevens said.

According to Stevens, the purpose of creating the DAC is to advise the ASB on what exactly they need to be successful.

“The DAC will lead the school in spirit activities and also advise ASB on financial decisions for athletics and represent [themselves in ASB],” she said.

During their meetings, the council’s business will be making important decisions regarding their budgets, school spirit, revising their training rules and consequences of violations, as well as promoting athletic based fundraisers.

Stevens hopes that with the instatement of the council, student athletes will have a closer knit community.

“I hope the program will build unity, increase communication for student athletes and build school spirit for athletics,” she said.