Students flock to new, old clubs at Club Rush

Credit: Carrie Coonan / The Foothill Drag

Jocelyn Brossia

Yesterday, students of every grade flooded the quad following the lunch bell. Enthusiastic and optimistic, students toured through an array of colorful tables set out— one designated to each club for Foothill’s annual Club Rush.

Each club could choose how to decorate their own booth; some were complete with face-painting, stickers and/or candy to grab students’ attention and potentially earn a new club member.

Editor’s Note: This video mistakenly calls Jordan White a sophomore. She is a junior.

Associated Student Body (ASB) student junior Kelly Urrutia describes the Club Rush as an event for “the student body to come see if they’re interested in anything.”

From a club that’s based specifically on Super Smash Bros., to others focusing on helping strengthen students’ debating skills, Foothill offers a wide variety of clubs and interest groups to help students have fun, gain new friendships and learn leadership skills. A couple of the clubs at Foothill are:

Flooding the booths for each club, students wasted no time in signing up for each club they were interested in.

Sophomore Abbey Bufford, secretary for Girl Up, shared her excitement for the upcoming year.

“[Last year, we had] almost all girls, and we’ve gotten a lot more guys this year. We’re hoping we can get [new students] to stay for longer than just a couple meetings,” she said.

Junior Noel Domke, a member of the Environmental Club, explained that the club does a good job at “bringing awareness of the environment to Foothill” through its gardening, composting, and occasional trips to Anacapa Island.

Partnering with Teen Vogue and the Fashion Institute of Design & Merchandising(FIDM), the new Fashion Club will help students potentially gain FIDM scholarships and donate clothes to homeless teens.

The president, senior Ariana Castillo, revealed that the club will discuss “the latest fashion trends, [while] trying to bring in everybody who’s interested in fashion and merchandising.”

Freshmen Matt Godfrey and Kyle Grenier expressed their interest in Environmental Club and Girl Up, but Godfrey also made it clear that he’s disappointed that he “can’t sign up for all of them, because they’re all really awesome.”