It’s an attitude…

Credit: Joel Mayorga/The Foothill Dragon Press
Life is a gift that must be appreciated everyday, not something to whiz through and let pass by. Credit: Joel Mayorga/The Foothill Dragon Press

Life is one thing we all share and have. We all love it and detest it at times, but nevertheless here we are; living.

As humans we all want to be happy and fulfilled. When we choose a college major, job, spouse, friend, or engage in various activities, we are generally seeking happiness and fulfillment.

Today it seems that some people are not content with their present moment in life. Meaning that they are restless with where they are now, and would like to fast forward to another stage of their life.

I have to admit that the week before writing this article I was feeling discontentment. I had been thinking about how excited I was for college and how I would like to be there already. While it was good to look forward to what the future holds, I had been dwelling too much on happiness somewhere in the future.

Frankly, in that moment, I was lacking gratitude.

Somewhere in the midst of day-to-day life, I had become so focused on the future, that I failed to see the beauty around me. I had lost sight of gratitude. When this happens we are not truly living, since we are merely surviving for that future moment that may or may not even take place.

Since we are constantly faced with advertisements telling us about the latest and greatest thing we can’t live without, it is essential to take some time to think or write about what we are thankful for.

I am thankful for my parents who have showed me how to live for the greater glory of God, while also sharing with me their own successes and failures in life so that I would not repeat their mistakes. It is wonderful to know that I can always turn to them with any questions I may have.

I am thankful for my beautiful sister who has taught me to love selflessly and is always a great voice of encouragement for me to keep moving forward.

I am thankful for all of my family and friends.

I am thankful for the wonderful staff and students at Foothill who have created a truly unique school, while also preparing us for our future.

I am thankful for all the diversity among the people of the world, who each have their own opinions and stories to tell. Without diversity, our world would be a lot less interesting.

Lastly I am thankful for life. I read recently, “To live for others is to reach the pinnacle of life.” I hope someday to have enough humility so that I could live for others.

Last week was a great reminder for me to count the abundance of blessings in my life. When we take the time to reflect upon how much we have, it lifts up our spirits and allows us to see the world in a new light. That “new” vision allows us to always remember that life is about the wonderful journey (full of its ups and downs) and not merely the destination.

What are you thankful for?