Alex Phelps: Foothill Artist Profile

Foothill is teeming with artists and photographers and yet its National Art Honor Society president, Alex Phelps stands out for her creativity and talent.

Even though she is only a junior, she is already in Art 4 and showing the talent of a seasoned artist. With a graphic designer for a mother and a photojournalist for a father, Phelps thinks her talent came from them. 

“I was just born with it I guess,” she said with a shrug.

When asked who has inspired her as an artist, Phelps said it doesn’t just come from a single person. “I wouldn’t necessarily say just one person, but from everyone and everything in my life.”

Last summer Phelps participated in CSSA (California State Summer School of Art) at California Institute for the Arts. “I probably learned more there in four weeks than I have in any portion of my life,” she said.

Phelps works with all mediums, including photography. Cameron Crouch, her photography teacher at Foothill, said that while it can be easy to learn how to use a camera and technology, it is another thing to “be able to use it creatively. She definitely has that talent.” 

As for Phelps’ future dream job? “My dream would be to be an artist.” But realistically, she added, she just wants to “incorporate art into my work.”

Her favorite artists? Painter Martin Kippenburger and photographer Diane Arbus.

Photos courtesy of Alex Phelps.