Foothill Tech ASB honored with 2024 Platinum Tier School of Distinction award

Luigirey Guce
On the morning of June 11, 2024 Foothill Technology High School’s (Foothill Tech) associated student body (ASB) won the 2024 Platinum Tier School of Distinction Award. Only 59 high schools in the nation have been awarded this award, which required the high schools to have a positive environment and culture on campus.

Announced on June 11, 2024, the Foothill Technology High School (Foothill Tech) Associative Student Body (ASB) received the highest Renaissance honor possible: the 2024 Platinum Tier School of Distinction, run by the Jostens Renaissance program. Foothill Tech was one of 59 schools nationwide to be awarded with the Platinum Tier.

The School of Distinction award was created to help celebrate schools across the country that promote positive climate and culture on campus. There are three separate tiers of distinction awarded: silver, gold and platinum, with Foothill Tech winning the highest honor. 

Some of the requirements for the platinum tier include reinforcing school values through the look of the school, collaborating with other schools and developing partnerships within the community.

I know that everyone in ASB is so proud of what we accomplished.”

— Rhea Gill ‘25

Some activities that Foothill Tech’s ASB organizes to help boost spirit on campus, with the help of the Renaissance program, are Renaissance rallies. The rallies are held as celebrations of student excellence, with ASB biannually holding a Renaissance Rally at school in the quad, with this year being the themes of Friday the 13th, consistently being held on Oct. 13, and a theme based on Teen Beach Movie

ASB vice president, Joshua Gelman ‘26 oversees the Renaissance program at Foothill Tech. Reacting to the news that ASB had won the Platinum Tier award he said, “I was super excited and it made me smile. It was super nice to have something good even when not everyone is happy about all of our events.”

Gelman states that it was a majority effort from everyone in ASB in order to fulfill the requirements. Many of the tasks involved student and staff recognition, shown with events surrounding the class of 2024 or teacher appreciation week, as well as ASB members individually completing community service. 

“It takes a lot of planning and time so [ASB] put in a lot of responsibility,” Gelman adds.

In terms of organization, ASB president Rhea Gill ‘25 stated, “It’s really important to always have a common goal. Whether that be a list of what to do at the beginning of each class, or a goal of having an event go smoothly, I think it’s really important.”

From Renaissance Rallies to senior signing day, ASB got the pay off after their months of hard work and dedication to Foothill Tech. ASB strives for excellence and will continue to push themselves through the 2024-2025 school year.