Athlete of the Week: Kira Branson

Claire Hadley
Kira Branson ’24 receives Athlete of the Week for her phenomenal 2023 tennis season and her leadership as team captain. The Foothill Technology High School (Foothill Tech) community appreciates all her hard work in representing the school.

Kira Branson ‘24 is the line one singles player for the Foothill Technology High School (Foothill Tech) girls’ tennis team, a prominent figure in the tennis world of Ventura. Branson is a critical part of the team and has been for the past four years.

Some of her best games have been against the girls’ tennis team’s rivals, Cate School (Cate). She reminisced on the Dragons away game during her junior year against Cate where she defeated all three of their singles lines.

Branson has been playing tennis for 10 years, joining various teams along the way. At 11 she joined a 13 and under team and transitioned over to a 16 and under team at 13. Branson speaks on her team involvement, stating, “I’ve always played on teams because I enjoy the team aspect although tennis is a very individual sport, because I play singles.”

Branson has made close connections with individuals on her team, as she reminisces on team memories, “I always enjoyed going to dinner after away games, and the van rides to away games were super fun because we’d blast music and just have an overall good time.”

Branson also speaks of her sorrows of leaving the team environment, “I’m super sad because I really enjoy all the friends that I’ve made throughout my four years on the tennis team. Not seeing them at practice every day is going to be hard but I know I’m still going to keep in touch with them after the season ends.”

Branson doesn’t plan on playing tennis competitively in college, but she wants to continue playing in other ways, “I think I’m just gonna continue to play for fun and with friends.”

Branson speaks once more on her love for the sport before she steps off the court and hangs up her competitive high school racket, “I like the individuality of tennis because its a super mental game and so you have the team aspect but you don’t have to rely on everyone else so I like that it’s just me out on the court and I get to play for me but also for the team.”

Branson will be missed by the Dragon team but is constantly congratulated on her accomplishments as she continues her life journey in college, with a bit of court time on the side.