Dragons sway under the lanterns: Prom 2023

Sofia Patiño

Foothill Technology High School (Foothill Tech) students gather to celebrate the last school dance of the year on April 29, 2023 at The Majestic Ventura Theater.

Maggie Lay, Reporter

As spring progresses and the 2022-2023 school year begins to creep towards an end, Foothill Technology High School (Foothill Tech) hosted their most anticipated dance of the school year: prom. The dance was hosted on April 29, 2023, at The Majestic Ventura Theater

The event was organized by the Associated Student Body (ASB) and the theme was “Dancing under the lanterns,” reflected by the dimly lit decorations.

Aside from the other entertainment, a refreshment bar was set up in the back of the venue, allowing students to step aside for water and other drinks when needed. (Sofia Patiño)

Ticket sales began on April 10 and closed up on April 28. A dance contract was required for entry for behavior while at the dance, ensuring everyone would have fun with a lower risk of injuries or inappropriate actions. 

As the event began, students flooded the dance floor, enjoying music and dancing. The DJ was a hit throughout the entire night, with a mosh pit forming in the middle of the dance floor.

As the students danced the night away, they had the opportunity to grab some desserts and refreshments. The desserts consisted of cookies, churros and other sweets, located in the lobby. The dance floor was separated from the seating areas and refreshment booths so students could get away from the heat and energy of the mosh pit to cool off. A pool table was also provided so that the students could play games during the night. 

Two photo areas were also available for picture-taking. One was located upstairs for a professional photo that students could purchase for a higher price. The other one was found downstairs, a photo booth for more lighthearted photos with friends. 

The night progressed and the energy remained high. ASB students worked hard at keeping the night enjoyable and organized. 

ASB student Hailey Hall ‘25 said one of the key aspects of prepping for prom was “coming up with ideas that will keep both the extroverted and the introverted happy, so like enough seating areas for people that don’t want to dance, so they can find another space where they can just relax and have fun.”

Joseph Parcher ’23 and Noelle Villaseñor ’23 strike poses at the photo booth for photos to commemorate their last prom night. (Sofia Patiño)

The venue ASB chose for the night was well-received, as many students appreciated the theater, some saying it was an upgrade from the last prom location. Keylah Valencia ‘23 expressed that “the venue is way better than the one last year.” 

The night was memorable for attendees, as the guests consisted of a majority of upperclassmen, so for some it would be their last formal dance. 

Jaslyn Shirk ‘24 commented on what made prom such a special night, “Because it’s mostly just juniors and seniors, it’s celebrating that your year is almost done and you’re moving onto the next stage of your life.”

The event also promoted socializing and getting to know others better outside of a school environment. Elizabeth Black ‘24 said, “[prom] lets people connect with other people and it gives you time to get to know someone.” 

As the dance came to a close and students walked out of the concert hall, the event proved to be a success. Students could look back at the 2023 prom as a special night, symbolizing the bittersweet end of their high school experience. 

Sofia Patiño