BREAKING NEWS: Ventura Unified superintendent addresses nationwide violence threats

Adler Striegel and Olivia Zoll

In an email sent out to all Ventura Unified School District (Ventura Unified) families on the morning of Dec. 16, 2021, Superintendent Roger Rice notified students and parents of recent news of threats and rumors circulating on Tik Tok that are declaring Dec. 17, 2021, as “National Shoot Up Your School Day,” threatening shootings and violent acts. 

Rice continued that the Ventura Police Department (VPD) are aware of these threats, but at this time the District has, “not received any credible information that [Ventura Unified] students have shared these posts. He also assures that the posts do not threaten VUSD schools specifically. 

Attached to the email is a Ventura County Office of Education (VCOE) News Release.

The email encourages students to “See Something, Say Something” and contact their school or VPD at (805)-850-8010 if they hear or see anything regarding these threats or any upcoming incident. Rice voiced that, “every threat is taken seriously,” and that VUSD will continue to work together to ensure the safety of students and staff. 

Rice again encouraged those reading the email to also read the attached letter by VCOE.