Persevering through academic stress

Kaelyn Savard

Experiencing stress is a common occurrence in the life of a student, but there are multiple methods of reducing such stress, which can redirect energy that was previously being used to worry into energy to act.

Ryann Liddell, Writer

Stress is a common component of our lives. We are presented with numerous challenges every day that cause our stress levels to soar. It is especially common with students, as assignments pile up and deadlines approach. Throughout students’ time spent grappling with online learning their attention spans were tested.

Mia Gray ‘23 claims, “probably, around two to four days a week I am stressed out about school assignments.” She’s not the only one, either. Many students have been experiencing stress that stems from getting assignments in on time efficiently. It’s not easy to deal with multiple assignments every day, especially when you have other things outside of school going on. Many people participate in extracurricular activities that make it difficult to find time to do their work. Or, they need time to relax after a seemingly never-ending day of school.

We can not evade these challenges that induce stress, so we have to find better methods for dealing with that stress. 

One of the methods I have found very helpful for dealing with stress is writing out everything I need to do and creating a checklist. Having a list allows me to see how much work I have to do, making it easier to know when I need to get which assignment done by certain times so I can prioritize my work. Taking the time to write what I need to get done makes it so I’m not constantly running a mental list of all my work through my head. It is a great way to deal with stress because it allows you to organize your thoughts.

Exercise is another great way to relieve stress. Going on a run or lifting weights can help you let out some of that built-up energy you get from stressing out about an assignment. Exercising also releases endorphins, which improves your mood, allowing you to not worry as much about assignments. It’s been scientifically proven that when you exercise you have an easier time sleeping; a lack of sleep may be the cause of an anxiety-ridden day.

Another good way to deal with stress is to just try to take your mind off of it and practice mindfulness. Not every challenge that causes stress requires you to get work done that instant. Some stress comes from things that are in the future that you can’t possibly work on right now, or it can come from awaiting an email or a test result that you are worried about. It’s important to recognize that there’s nothing you can do in the moment and just get your mind off of the thing that is causing stress. Some good ways to do this are by listening to music, reading a book or watching a movie or tv show you find amusing. 

Finally, a good way to relieve stress is by surrounding yourself with people you enjoy spending time with while keeping in mind necessary COVID-19 precautions. Mikaela Hantgin ‘22 says, “going to work helps me not feel as stressed because that’s where I get most of my social interaction.” Spending time with people allows you to feel as relaxed as people, especially people your own age like school peers who know what you’re going through. You can also get your mind off of whatever is stressing you out by completing tasks for others. Hantgin mentions, “baking is also a big part in helping me with my stress because I love that I’m making something for the ones I love.” Helping those around you allows you to feel better and not as stressed out.

So instead of spending your time uneasy about everything you have to do or freaking about tasks you don’t want to do, try to use some of these methods to make it easier. Then you will be able to spend your time and energy focusing on things that are more important in your life.