Jordon Points brings a “player-centered” coaching philosophy to Foothill Boys’ Soccer Program

New boys’ soccer coach, Jordon Points. Credit: Jason Messner / The Foothill Dragon Press

In addition to being the women’s junior varsity coach at California Lutheran University and head coach of two boys teams at Eagles Soccer Club, Jordon Points has taken the position of head varsity coach for the Foothill Technology High School boys’ soccer team.

Even though Points is only 30 years old, he has been coaching for seven years and playing for 25.

Coach Points brings an unlimited supply of energy to the program as he is often seen jumping into drills during his practices. He feels that this “adds credibility” and “a different dynamic” while also giving some players the opportunity to “go up against someone who is more experienced.”

One of this year’s team captains for the team, Kyeler Brant ‘20, plays for Points on both the Dragons’ varsity squad and his 2002 Eagles Soccer Club boys’ team. Brant described Points as “very full of energy and looking to do great things for the [Foothill] program.”

Overall, Points is hoping to implement a “player-centered” environment where the players work to improve “their legacy that is being left behind.” He is also hoping to see “the growth of the players” and potentially “win league and get as far as [they] can in California Interscholastic Federation (CIF).”

He began creating his own coaching legacy when he first began his a career as a coach, shaping his philosophy based on past coaches he has played for. Because he has been playing for most of his life, he has had the opportunity to learn from many different coaches with a plethora of new information to share.

When he first started his career as a coach he had to go through “trial and error” to see what worked best for him. In order to learn as much as he could, Points constantly questioned himself and read books about soccer. 

One aspect of his coaching that has been greatly appreciated by his players is his one-on-one communication.

Points “understands our perspective and I love how he talks with players individually on what to improve,” Brant said.

In the past, he coached cross country and track at Bakersfield Christian High School. He feels that this has impacted his soccer career because he was able to interact with a variety of personalities and learn how to best guide them.

Points mentioned that he “holds soccer players to higher standards” because it is more difficult to see if they are putting in their best effort.

He also created certain “structured planning” strategies for the training sessions of both runners and soccer players.

Points continues to demonstrate this passion and careful preparation when it comes to his education. After his high school graduation, Points obtained his psychology degree at Rocky Mountain University and competed for their National Association of Intercollegiate Athletics (NAIA) soccer team. Even though his schedule is packed with coaching, Points plans on returning to school to earn his teaching degree.

“I am starting to study more because I want to get back into school and get my CSET so I can be credentialed and teach in high school and eventually teach in college,” Points said.

He first brought his expertise to Foothill as the junior varsity coach for the girls’ soccer program.

He stated that he “was always the assistant coach for soccer” so when the opportunity with the varsity boys arose, he was excited and ready to take on the challenge.

Brant believes his coach is a “very genuine and caring guy who really cares about the boys and the success of the program” and that they are “very lucky to have him.”