Recap: Boys’ Soccer gets a 1-0 victory in their second round of CIF playoffs

Katie Denger

On Wednesday, Feb. 21, the Foothill Technology boys’ soccer team solidified their continuation on to the quarterfinals of the California Interscholastic Federation (CIF) playoffs against the Orange Vista Coyotes.

The one and only goal of the match was scored by Elo Contreras ’20 off a corner kick by David Hill ‘18. According to Contreras he “went behind the players and [ …] headed [the ball]” in the ninth minute of the second half.

Ezekiel Colby ‘18 said that one of the team’s strengths was that the “defense really held up.” Coach Andreas Wedderien was in agreeance when he said the “solid defense [ …] proved [themselves] unbreakable.”

Contreras believed their strengths were found in the midfield because they “were controlling the middle really [well].” Despite playing a strong game, the Dragons lacked scoring opportunities. Colby said that the“forwards didn’t do their job as much,”and Contreras supported this by stating that they“never really take shots and this game wasn’t any different.”

Colby also said that in practice they might work on “getting first to the ball” so they can increase their performance up top.

Overall, Foothill performed well and got the job done, which leaves them with a record of 9-7-0.

Calvin Turville ‘19 received Player of the Game because he “worked his tail off all game long to reduce the defensive thread and added offensive power,” according to Wedderien. Foothill’s next game will take place at the Ventura College stadium against the Buckley Griffins on Saturday, Feb. 24 at 4 p.m.

Katie Denger, Reporter

Katie Denger is a second year sports writer, soccer player and orange juice addict