Smiles and sparkles abound at downtown Winter Formal

Credit: Jazmine Razo / The Foothill Dragon Press

From the middle of the dance floor last Saturday all you would have been able to see is a festive flurry of sparkles, velvet, and feet tapping along to the hottest beats – and that’s just how Foothill likes it. The annual Winter Formal, from 6 p.m. to 10 at the Museum of Ventura County, drew hundreds of students who were ready to shed the stress of school and dance the night away.

Halfway through the night, the Winter Formal court was announced. Three couples were finalists for Winter Formal King and Queen: Mallery Kinnun and John Marcoux, CJ Haberbush and Carrie Coonan, and Kris Bartlett and Bianca Copeland, all Class of 2017. Marcoux and Kinnun were crowned the winners.

“When we won, the first thing that popped into John’s head was that because we were royalty, we could no longer give gifts to Obama,” Kinnun said with a laugh. Article I of the United States Constitution says the president cannot accept gifts from royalty, Marcoux explained.

Mayzee Oakes and Kyle Grenier ‘20 were crowned freshman Prince and Princess, Gage Corsi and Trinity Crown ‘19 were sophomore Prince and Princess, and Griffin Coe and Skylar Rodriguez ‘18 claimed the title of junior Prince and Princess.

Associated Student Body (ASB) Sophomore Class President Abby Sourwine ‘19 and Sophomore Class Vice-President Josiah Beharry ‘19 were chiefly in charge of putting together the dance.

The museum was set aglow by blue light towers and lights strung across the courtyard. “We wanted it to be really elegant and magical” and “not just your typical Friday dance,” Sourwine said.

This was Foothill’s first time using the museum as a venue, although ASB is looking at using it for future events due to the positive feedback. Before the dance, many students dined downtown and took photos at iconic locations like City Hall and the Ventura Mission, all within walking distance. “We really wanted something central,” Sourwine said.

The money raised at Winter Formal will stay with the Class of 2019, funding their graduation and senior activities down the road. “We know that it’s going to make somewhere between $7,000 and $9,000,” Sourwine said. “It’s a lot more than expected and frankly a lot more than usual.”

Editor’s Note: Abby Sourwine is a staffer on The Foothill Dragon Press. She was not involved in the writing or editing of this article.

Gabby Sones contributed to the reporting of this article.