Ten ways to keep your “stay fit” resolution alive

Easy ways to keep your New Years resolution to stay in good shape include working out with friends and getting a lot of sleep. Photo Illustration Credit: Aysen Tan/The Foothill Dragon Press

The gym gets packed, people are out jogging in the streets and numerous people have decided to keep a steady workout routine this year. The unfortunate part of this New Year’s resolution is that getting in shape is hard work and it gets tedious, boring, and exhausting. Here are ten ways to keep this resolution alive and yourself feeling healthy.

1. Work like a clock

Set a time or have a certain schedule that you will follow. Workout at exactly 6 a.m. or immediately after school.

This allows you to be more efficient you won’t be trying to squeeze in a workout at the end of the day or “when you have time.” If you want to get in shape, you have to make it a priority.

2. Pump up the jams

You know how music can put you into certain moods? Well, find music that puts you in an energetic mood.

Upbeat songs with loud noises and pumped up lyrics are the best. Finding music that puts you in an energetic mood will make your workout go by faster and the whole thing will be more enjoyable for you.

3. Buddy system

Chat with a friend about your fitness goals and inspire each other to workout. Maybe even workout together. This will make it more fun since you have a pal there to “feel the burn” with you and it will make things more competitive giving you motivation to work harder and get in shape.

Using the buddy system will help you stay on top of working out since nobody likes to flake on others. You will workout more regularly and have a better plan for what you want to do.

4. Set goals

Don’t just decide to get in shape, decide what you exactly want to do. The more precise you are, the easier it will be to get in shape. Write them down, track them, and achieve them, but don’t get too ambitious. Make goals that will push you but that are also feasible. If you make goals that are out of reach, you can become discouraged and not put in as much effort. If you make goals that are too small, then you will achieve nothing.

5. Show it off

One of the best ways to get pumped up for working out is showing off what you have already done. As you get in better shape or achieve your fitness goals, tell people about it. Don’t be cocky but also do not be afraid to let people know of your most recent health accomplishments. You will motivate yourself to keep this good momentum going and you might even inspire others to start getting in shape, too.

So it is perfectly okay to wear that man tank or that nice dress after you have been working hard running those miles or pumping iron at the gym.

6. Variety

The best way to burn out is by doing the same exact thing day after day, week after week. Make sure you spice things up and keep it fresh. This way, you will actually look forward to your workout rather than putting off something you have been repeating for the last month.

Take a different route when you go for a run, ride a bike instead of running, find new exercises you can do at the gym, don’t be afraid to use the free weights, and stay away from the weight machines for a while. Variety is very important in staying motivated for getting in shape.

7. Stay fit In other aspects of your life

A good way to get into the daily routine of working out and getting used to it is putting more effort into other things you do in your life. Try your best to not procrastinate on homework. Be on time to important arrangements. Start improving everything you do and working out, school, and everything else will be more rewarding and fun.

8. Reward yourself

Just because you are working hard doesn’t mean you can’t have some of that tasty dessert at dinner time or stay home on Friday night and rest instead of hanging out with your friends. Reward yourself for pushing yourself to the limit and working out hard. Allow yourself one day a week to eat whatever you want.

Treat yourself to something like clothing, that new video game, or some good food when you complete some of your big goals. Without rewards, working out is meaningless.

9. Gear up

Nothing will make you want to workout more than wearing that new pair of running shoes or sporting those shorts that make you look fast. If you look good, you feel good, and the better you feel, the better your workout will be.

Not only that, but new gear will make you want to exercise because you spent money on it and you better put it to good use.

10. SLEEP, SLEEP, SLEEP

Lastly, the only way you will feel good after working out and to see and feel benefits from a regular workout routine is getting enough rest. Recovery is the most important factor in physical activity and without sleep, your muscles and body won’t be able to rebuild and adapt to your training. You will be tired easily and not in the mood for staying in shape.

Getting at least eight hours during weekdays and sleeping in on the weekends as much as you can will help you stay fresh and will let you make progress with your fitness.

Combining some of these or all of these 10 things will help you stay strong and regular with your workouts.