What you should know for ASB elections

As the 2020-21 school year approaches, the Associated Student Body (ASB) is preparing to choose the next leaders of campus as the ASB President and Vice President are up for election. 

These roles are important to the school as a whole as the president and vice president are crucial to running the ASB class and organizing events around campus. To help you learn about the candidates, we have compiled biographies of the two vice presidents and the four presidential candidates. 

Ashlynn Bryson ‘21

Bryson will be entering her fourth year in ASB. She has held the positions of Staff Relations, Ren Friday Commissioner and Ren Rally Director. In her last year at ASB she is running in hopes of becoming president. She is running against Paul Casas ‘21, Elizabeth Ferris ‘21 and Devin Franke ’21.

Bryson hopes to connect ASB and students on campus by “trying to implement more events that are aimed at the whole student body.” 

In addition, Bryson will strive to “encourage more school spirit,” and “get more people to go to the games and support the school.”

Paul Casas ‘21

Casas, previously the WISDOM Director, is in his first year of ASB and is hoping to hold the position of ASB President in his second year. 

In the role of President, Casas aspires to urge ASB to “interact more with our clubs” so there can be “more events with the clubs with the support of ASB,” like Dia de Los Muertos and various other events.

Along with this, he wants to see “our ren participation go up more from the upperclassmen” through initiatives to interact more with the upperclassmen and organize more incentives. 

Casas sees himself as a qualified candidate for president as he talks “to a lot of people,” is “nice to everyone” and likes “interacting with people” which will enable him to listen to the “student body more and hear more opinions of theirs.”

Elizabeth Ferris ‘21

Ferris will be entering her fourth year in ASB and is the current Awareness Week Director and the past Elections Director and Spirit Week Director. This year, she is running for president against three other students.

If elected in office, she would strive to spread awareness concerning mental health as well as honoring hard-working staff members. As president, she hopes to “let students know they’re not alone.” She also wants to create a “community for the school,” while increasing opportunities for class bonding. 

In addition, Ferris will aim to increase student participation at school events. “It has been difficult getting people other than parents to sports games,” she says, and wants to create incentives to encourage people to support Foothill teams.

Devin Franke ‘21

Franke plans to return to his second year in ASB as President.

His goals include “to make sure the students know they have a voice” and are “treated how they want to be and that they have a voice for activities.”

Additionally, he would like to make everyone have a memorable time on campus by “maintaining the unique and special spirit of Foothill.” Another goal of his is to make more personal connections with others.

Madison Duston ‘21

Duston will be entering her fourth year in ASB. She had held the positions of Renaissance Rally Intern, Renaissance Rally Director and Social Media Director previously. She is running for ASB Vice President against Dailyn Thompson ‘21. 

As Vice President, Duston would work to “enhance the relationships between the student body and ASB,” and “continue to increase the connectedness of students to our school.”

Due to her years of experience, Duston believes she will be able to “improve the productivity in our renaissance team,” and “create relationships and a positive culture within the ASB class.”

Dailyn Thompson ‘21

Thompson will be entering her third year of ASB after previously holding the roles of Sophomore Class Secretary and Junior Class Vice President. She is running for ASB Vice President,

As vice-president, she hopes to “make students want to strive for success,” and encourage students to “not necessarily be down on themselves for not getting a 4.8 or 4.0 even [but recognize] smaller goals that people have set for themselves.”

When running for election, Thompson sees her qualifications in the fact that she is “good at creating community with people and [she has] strong goals that [she wishes] to achieve for the job.”

These strong goals include striving to inspire “improvement with people” and seeing “more involvement with school activities” which will help people “find a sense of pride in the school and hopefully it will make going here just that much better.”