Rihanna Samples

Esmi Casarez ’23 drives toward the basket, getting in front of her defender, hoping to make a wide-open layup while her teammates watch in anticipation.

Girls’ basketball

Girls basketball thrived throughout their regular season, as they went 14-7 overall and finished first in their league with a 5-1 record. The team claimed first place in Tri-Valley league allowing them to reach CIF play. However, their season ended earlier than expected, though, as they were narrowly defeated by Glendale High School in the first round.

The squad was led by their four seniors: Emma Coray, Esmi Casarez, Olivia Huynh and Mia Gray who were all celebrated in the annual Senior Night. The team bid farewell to these players with gifts and flowers during their final home game of the season where they took an unfortunate loss.

Gray expressed pride when reflecting on her team’s season, as she explained, “Everyone put in a lot of work and dedication … which contributed to our success.”

She added that a highlight of their season was a close, hard-fought victory against Saint Bonaventure High School.