Siena Hager

Phoebe Gaston ’20 rearing up to follow through on her shot

Phoebe Gaston ’20

“She's a good teammate, and a really nice golf swing," coach Wayne Powers said. "With a little practice, her score could plummet, and she knows what I mean by that."

For Phoebe Gaston ’20, Foothill golf was not just a sport, but a privilege. Gaston notes that there was a strong bond between all of the players, and it made her experience amazing.

Gaston’s favorite memories on the golf team were the team bonding nights: “Instead of playing golf we just bonded as friends and it really strengthened our team,” said Gaston. “I made many friendships with the girls I was playing with for four years as well as lots of underclassmen that I can now consider really close friends.”

Gaston’s biggest accomplishment on the team was not only making varsity all four years, but also maintaining their undefeated streak in the league. Gaston followed up by saying “with my experience on the team, I learned it doesn’t matter how good you are, if you’re on the golf team you’re just as important as our lowest scoring player.”

Gaston’s high school experience would have been very different if it weren’t for golf. “Being on the team gave me lots of experience in how to work with other people. Also going into random courses and meeting random girls and competing with them four hours taught me how to get out of my comfort zone.”