Alternative+music+includes+rock+elements+but+each+song+brings+a+unique+sound%2C+separating+itself+from+more+mainstream+rock+

Jordyn Savard

Alternative music includes rock elements but each song brings a unique sound, separating itself from more mainstream rock

Alternative/Indie Rock

Cleanspill

Cleanspill is a new band that just started up with local boys from southern California and has a unique, edgy sound. The lead singer, Pat Curren, has similar vocal qualities to Kurt Cobain: apathetic and raspy. The surf indie band has released mellow yet upbeat songs with magical guitar riffs and killer beats on the drum. I can’t wait for more music to be released by them as I see a bright future ahead for this new up and coming band.

-Sophia Parker

Hot Flash Heat Wave

Garage rock with a little tinge of fantasy and mellow tunes, Hot Flash Heat Wave is a band worth listening to if you’re a true indie rock enthusiast. The latest full album release from the band was in 2017 when they debuted “Soaked,” but since they have released many singles. The song that led me to this band was “Gutter Girl” on their first album “Neapolitan.” This new wave of music is taking way and creating a strong center for indie rock.

-Sophia Parker

Grouplove

Grouplove is well-known for their top hit “Tongue Tied” which peaked to spot #42 on the charts back in 2012. The song is good, but not their best. On the album, “Spreading Rumors” lies a hidden gem: “Raspberry.” The song is hands down the definition of true indie rock and is heavily underappreciated. Listen to the song and you’ll instantly want to start jumping around in your room as the beat takes control of your body.

Sophia Parker

The Wallows

Simply beautiful, mellow and relaxing. The Wallows just released a sneak peek to a new album “Nothing Happens” by only giving the public one song, “Are You Bored Yet?” This song takes me to those typical moments in love stories where the couples are on the coast of Malibu driving with their hands raised as hair blows past their faces. It’s perfect. Just impeccably perfect. On the other hand, they have released other, differing music like “Pleaser” which is super fast and raucous and “Pictures of Girls,” which is classic surf rock.

-Sophia Parker