Ami Ballmer

Credit: Aysen Tan/The Foothill Dragon PressJunior Ami Ballmer has been apart of Foothill’s speech and debate team since her freshman year. Ballmer competed at the State Tournament for the first time in public forum with her partner Ana Bello.

In public forum, Ballmer and Bello went through two days of debate at the State Qualifiers. It was double elimination, so if a group lost two rounds, they were dismissed. After five rounds of successful debate, Ballmer was a part of one of the four teams to qualify for State.

Ballmer has always wanted to compete at the State Tournament.

“My goal in speech and debate has always been to go to State, so just being there felt like a huge accomplishment,” she said.

Ballmer was happy to have qualified and was excited she did her best.

“I wanted to represent Foothill well and do my best at State,” she said.

Ballmer hopes to qualify for State again next year.

Originally, Ballmer joined the speech and debate team because her brother, Luke Ballmer, was on the team, and she enjoyed arguing with people. Now her sister Fidelity Ballmer is also apart to Foothill’s team. Ami says that it is fun and interesting having her siblings around.

“It definitely makes for some interesting situations. It’s nice to have people in your family that really understand what you’re doing. We can support each other,” she said.

Ami sees the speech and debate team beneficial to her socially and academically.

“I have made good friends, it is lots of fun, and academically it helps me with writing essays in class,” Ballmer said.