Ella Svete: Getting off the Chilean roller coaster

I have three months left here in Chile, and they’re going by fast. It’s as if my rollercoaster ride just passed its climax and it’s rushing down to an abrupt finish.

I feel as if I am ready for it to be over. Although I know that once it is over, I will be yearning to get right back on. I will have the same feelings of nerves and excitement, now knowing what to expect but still getting jerked around by the sharp curves and twists.

Recently, a very close friend I have here called me her best friend. She told me how strange she felt because I have been here so little time, and it went so fast and we act like sisters. I thanked for letting me into her culture and life, knowing that I had to leave eventually. I always knew I would make good friends here but I didn’t think it would be like this. {sidebar id=65}

Starting back in school is giving me flashbacks of my actual first day of school in Chile.

I was so shy, knowing nothing of what school was like here, and only meeting a total of three actual Chileans before beginning my first day. The “inspectora” introduced me to the class and my face (as always) turned tomato red.

The sleeping heads on the tables shot up to the word “Estados Unidos” and all eyes were on me. The teacher pointed to my seat and I sat down, the heads turning and looking with each step. I must have been quite a shock the people here because I am four out of four things that are very rare for Chileans: tall, freckles, green eyes, and blonde(ish).

I think the teacher told my classmates to come say hello to me because before I knew it 25+ people surrounded me introducing themselves and kissing me on the cheek. In Chile, it is a custom to kiss each other once on the cheek when you meet. I was barely aware of this so I found it a little bit of a bubble burst. I had a little bit of a lump in my throat from undergoing culture shock, and realizing I was here. In Talca, Chile alone and starting a life.

Now that I am passed the fears and my life has begun, I feel myself preparing for going home. It somewhat feels that I am going on exchange to Ventura, California, but not as exciting as when I was going on exchange to Talca, Chile.

I used to be the kind of person who would get offended when people made fun of me, or called me names. I realized I have changed so much. I find myself going along with it when they call me “gringa tonta.” It’s the culture to make fun of people casually. Now that I understand what they are saying to me I can come up with a little funny response and play along.

I think people in school always liked me, but now they can talk to me and get to know how I really am. I can start conversations and expand on what we are talking about. It used to just be the basics: name, school, where I’m from, what I’m going to study, and I would almost always respond with a one word answer. Or I would smile and giggle if I didn’t understand. I noticed playing the cute, dumb, gringa card worked very well here.

The last curve of this ride is coming. I am anticipating it, but letting myself enjoy the few moments I have left.