Ella Svete: Dreaming in Spanish

I had my first dream in Spanish. The entire dream was in Spanish.

I have had dreams with bits and pieces of Spanish in it, but this is the first dream without any English whatsoever. I felt myself speaking and understanding it even in my unconscious state, and when I woke up it was a pretty cool feeling.

My friends said they’re starting to notice a difference in my language as well, and I think my accent is also less noticeable to Chileans who don’t know me. {sidebar id=65}

I was at a party the other day with my friend from school and another “gringa” from California. My Chilean friend and I were have a very fluid conversation about our adventures in Brazil, and my friend who didn’t go on the trip on us and was just sitting there and smiling.

A boy there starting talking to her and was saying how she looked bored “sitting there with two Chileans who don’t speak English.” I stopped my conversation with my friend and started listening to what he was saying. He was speaking English and told her how she should talk with him because she actually understood him!

I let him go on thinking I was from Chile the rest of the party. When it was time for us to go, I went around saying goodbye to everyone, and when I came to him I put on the typical California girl accent and said my goodbye in English. His face was confused, surprised, and slightly embarrassed. I just laughed and walking away leaving him to ponder who else he talked to that night was from the United States.

It was a good feeling to think that someone was listening to me speak Spanish with a friend and just assume I was from the same country as them.

I am changing a lot here, and I’m starting to get into things that I didn’t do that much back in Ventura. I am doing art again, writing, and even cooking more.

The ways of cooking here are so interesting. I am so used to using recipes and measuring cups and making everything perfect, only to forget sugar or salt.

Here, they scarcely use recipes but when they do, it is just for the ingredients. The cooks just throw stuff in a mixing bowl and know from experience when it’s missing something. It’s crazy. And it always turns out delicious.

My sister and I made lemon pie yesterday, and I was trying to follow the instructions and every time I said, “Okay now we need to add” she would cut me off and yell “No!” before throwing something in that had nothing to do with the recipe, and the pie still turned out incredible. Half of the tray is already gone!

I think I am growing up a lot here. I used to be the crazy high school teenager who made time for concerts or just having a good time instead of schoolwork. Of course, I would do good work and get good grades, but now I am realizing that having a good time should be a reward for doing good work and it’s more enjoyable if you do it that way. It’s weird to notice the ways I am changing. I like it though. I feel good about myself.

I think we are all changing at this time in our lives. I bet when I get back I will get along better with people that I didn’t during my freshman and sophomore years.

The only bummer about traveling abroad is the feeling that you are missing out on things back home, and hearing stories of your friends doing fun and exciting things without you. It’s a weird mix, because I know I am making incredible memories. I just wish I could share them with my best friends sometimes.