Ella Svete: Bursting to get to Brazil

The class trip to Brazil is finally here! I consider myself so lucky that I get to have the chances to go to all of these amazing places in the world.

I have been here for four months and I have already seen more than some people have in their whole lives. I know more cities in Chile than some of the Chileans themselves.

I have grown up in a family that travels all the time. So coming here where people don’t know their own country, and have never even been on an airplane is a bit strange for me. It makes me truly grateful that I have gotten to see the things I have seen at such a young age. I know not everybody gets that chance. {sidebar id=65}

When I came to Chile, I had no expectation of going to Brazil. The thought popped into my mind when I found one of my fellow exchange students was going there, but I didn’t think I would ever make it to the country.

I have that feeling you get in your stomach as a little kid when you know you are going to Disneyland the next day. You can’t sleep, even though you know how much you need it for the big day ahead. You can hardly sit still because your excitement is controlling your body and you just want to jump from joy. I am a little kid and Brazil in my Disneyland.

The agency told us to go with American dollars and also some of Brazil’s currency. I went to go exchange my Chilean pesos into dollars and it was so strange seeing money from the United States. It was like I could look at the money normally without calculating in my head how much it would be in the currency I am used to. It even made me a little homesick for some reason.

The bills here are a lot smaller and more colorful then the bills back home.

A strange thing I have been starting to miss is the clothes I did not bring with me. I have a feeling I won’t be seeing them again because my older sister decided to go through my leftovers and steal them. I did the same when she left for Argentina, so I guess this is pay back.

My parents are coming to visit in February. It will be so strange to see them here. I feel like Talca is my town and I don’t want to share it. It will be wonderful to see them, and all of my friends are so excited to meet them. I think it will be cool because by that time my Spanish will be really good and they already speak Spanish so there won’t be any problem just communicating in front of everyone in Spanish. It will be really fun.

When I was younger my family traveled to a lot of Spanish speaking countries. Now that I know Spanish I want to repeat those trips because I feel like I can understand the culture and country better and appreciate it much more.

I wish I could find a job that could just pay me to travel the world. It is starting to be one of my favorite hobbies. A very expensive hobby, that is.