“Skyfall” fails to live up to its hype, just average 007 movie

The newest James Bond movie, "Skyfall," was released on November 9 and isnt very spectacular. Credit: Columbia Pictures/The Foothill Dragon Press
The newest James Bond movie, “Skyfall,” was released on November 9 and isn’t very spectacular. Credit: Columbia Pictures

“Skyfall,” the most recent 007 movie and 23rd in the series, turned out to be strong, not great, but just good. Released on November 9, Bond’s fans filled the theaters to watch this new chapter in the story.

Skyfall” was about Bond’s comeback, or as he called it, resurrection. After being shot by another MI6 agent he spends time away from his job. Bond was thought to be dead so nobody bothered to look for him. After hearing about attacks at the MI6 headquarters, Bond goes back to finish the mission he was involuntarily taken out of.

This movie had a great eerie introduction, with some intense music by Adele. The introduction was a mesmerizing quick portrayal of the events in the movie. Bond’s getting shot, him trying to come back, things burning and someone dying. The visual effects were stunning, so it is not hard to say that this may be the best James Bond intro ever, but there have been a lot of good introductions for this movie series.

There was no lack of action in “Skyfall.” The initial chase scene depicted James Bond, played by Daniel Craig, going after an enemy agent. They were both on motorcycles and running around a busy city. Another scene shows the destruction of Bond’s childhood home, Skyfall. The action in this movie really pulled my attention and got me more into the movie.

But other than that, the rest of the movie was like a typical James Bond film, where Bond gets sent a mission, he has a few affairs, they kill off the most attractive girl, Bond drives around a cool car and the movie ends with a little twist. Cool gadgets and technology are also included in this movie, as like any other spy movie. But “Skyfall” was nothing more than that, it was just good. Nothing spectacular.

An interesting aspect to this movie is that there is a game, the British Intelligence Officer Exam, inspired by “Skyfall” and Cleverbot and released on the Internet. In this game you can test your abilities as an MI6 agent, and face the frustrations and difficulties that come along with it.

“Skyfall” was an average 007 movie made special by the intriguing introduction and the excellent action scenes. It was a movie worth watching but it did not quite live up to its hype.