Ella Svete: Gringa on the prowl

School is getting more and more fun for me as the weeks go on.

My class is always studying or taking practice tests for the PSU. It is the test they have to take to go to college, similar to the ACT and SAT. The only thing I have to do is listen to music, sketch, make friendship bracelets, or sleep. A lot of my friends don’t study so we end up just talking all class.

Also, this week we have been preparing for war.

It is a tradition for our class to have a water fight with the older class (juniors vs. seniors). Each person was to buy 300 water balloons. There are about 50 people in my junior class and each person brought way more than 300 water balloons. We have huge trashcans, and an incredible amount of buckets and coolers. I spent most of my day filling up water balloons.

We were filling up the balloons in a locker room with showers and sinks. Of course being teenagers, we were splashing and spraying each other with water.

Unfortunately one of my friends had the wonderful idea to shout “Gringa a la duchar!” (Gringa to the shower!). The next thing I knew four people were picking me up and carrying me to the shower! There was absolutely nothing I could do to fight back. {sidebar id=65} Everyone thought it was just so hilarious that I was soaking wet in thick sweat pants and shoes. It was so uncomfortable but I will definitely get revenge on them!

I have honestly never seen people so excited for a water balloon fight. They were not even calling it a fight. They are calling it war. While walking in the hall the older kids are telling us “Tomorrow you will die!”

There are rumors that they filled some of the balloons with fish. I am not up for that. Also, everyone is telling me they will go straight for me since I am the gringa. I am so afraid.

On a happier note, I succeeded in getting my VISA for Brazil. I will be taking a 10-day trip to Brazil with my class to soak up the sun and have the best time ever. It is already less then a month away.

I am starting to feel so close with my friends here. It seems like this is where I am going to live permanently. I leave in seven months and I am terrified of how fast that time will go.

It scares me to think I may never see some of these people again. I have bonded with them and leaving them makes me so sad. I never thought it would be this hard. I mean, I still have seven months and I’m already worrying about it.

It seems like this is going to be harder than leaving Ventura, because I always knew Ventura would be waiting for me and I will definitely return and see the people I love.

But now, I’m not 100 percent sure that I will see the new people that I love again. I’m so scared of saying goodbye.