Foothill students present information on California propositions

Senior Annabelle Warren discusses one of the propositions on this year's ballot at Juanamaria Elementary School on Thursday as other senior presenters Luke Ballmer, Stephen Mariani, and Marnie Vaughn watch. Credit: Jackson Tovar/The Foothill Dragon Press.
Senior Annabelle Warren discusses one of the propositions on this year’s ballot at Juanamaria Elementary School on Thursday as other senior presenters Luke Ballmer, Stephen Mariani, and Marnie Vaughn watch. Credit: Jackson Tovar/The Foothill Dragon Press.

Thursday night the local Delta Kappa Gamma chapter, a group that honors women educators, hosted a meeting at Juanamaria Elementary School where Foothill students spoke about Propositions 30 through 40.

All of the students participating were either members of the speech and debate team or involved with the Political Action and Awareness Club on campus. Each student was asked to deliver an unbiased speech about one or more of the propositions on this year’s ballot.

PAAC President, Stephen Mariani, organized the meeting with the Delta Kappa Gamma women, some of whom are also members of The League of Women Voters.

“We were certainly interested because PAAC is always looking to reach out into the community, especially since the propositions this year will have such a great impact on education,” Mariani said.

One of many propositions discussed throughout the evening was Prop 35, a piece of legislation centered on human trafficking. Senior Claire Riley spoke about its increased jail sentence for offenders, as well as its bipartisan support.

Senior Marnie Vaughn, spoke on behalf of propositions 30 and 34.

Prop 30, which found support in the teacher-filled audience, is a tax that directly benefits schools across California that have suffered from cuts in education funding. Prop 34, on the other hand, is intended to replace death row with a life sentence in prison free from opportunity of parole.

Vaughn said she found it difficult to remain bipartisan on the issues she chose.{sidebar id=62}

“I was told to pick propositions that I would be interested in, and the ones I chose I personally support. But it wasn’t impossible,” she said.

One of the organizers, Nancy Meyers was excited to see such young students speaking on issues that matter.

“We’re a group of teachers. We’ve heard from the League of Women Voters before, but to see information presented in such a wonderful way by students we may have helped educate makes us proud of the youth in Ventura,” Meyers said.