Anaika Miller: College doth approach

Royce Hall, one of the most notable landmarks of my soon-to-be home. Credit: Anaika Miller/The Foothill Dragon PressI move to UCLA in a week. College countdown just got real.

The whole process of moving out of my house, however, is very surreal. Surreal, in part, because other than writing a list of what I’d like to bring to college, I haven’t really started the process of moving out. Nothing is in boxes or bags; I’ve succumbed to procrastination without realizing it.

The “problem” with going to a UC (other than Berkeley or Merced) is that your summer is so long, your mind begins to permanently view school as part of the distant future. 

It doesn’t help that all of your friends have already started college and left you behind to figure out (on your own) whether or not there is actually anything fun to do in Ventura. Even with my seemingly infinite amount of free time, I haven’t reached a satisfying conclusion. The search shall continue. {sidebar id=65}

I have, however, had many conversations with friends and family regarding my impending college attendance. Once people find out that you’re going to college, they seem to forget that you do, or have done, anything else with your life. But this is mostly okay because they all seem even more excited for me than I am.

And don’t think for a second that I’m not excited. I’ve been told by a lot of people that college will be the best four years of my life, and since I haven’t had any personal experience with going to college before, I’m going to take their word for it.

Fun fact: I’m interviewing for my first real job today. This is totally the beginning of the best four years of my life, right? Right.

I’m excited.