Ten new talented and promising bands to watch

Watch out for these ten bands this year.  Credit: Kirsten Wiltjer/The Foothill Dragon Press
Watch out for these ten bands this year. Credit: Kirsten Wiltjer/The Foothill Dragon Press

With South by Southwest’s recent passing and Coachella on the horizon, a slew of bands are releasing new albums or promoting their first ones. Festivals such as these are the perfect showcase for up-and-coming bands, but often with such large line-ups, some great acts get skipped over. Thus, I took the liberty of sharing a few of my favorite discoveries. Without further ado, here are the top ten bands to watch this year.

WHITE ARROWS

Self-described as “psychotropical” and “tropical crunk,” Los Angeles-based band White Arrows produce the ideal SoCal soundtrack. The five-piece band, with one EP and an album in the making, can make even a foggy Ventura day feel nice and beachy with their bubbly sound, electro-pop beats, and consistent sporting of Hawaiian button-downs.

Listen: “Get Gone

Where to catch them: Thursday, April 19, The Echo, Los Angeles, (18+).

GAUNTLET HAIR

This Denver-based duo released their debut album in October and have been on tour ever since. Their self-titled album has an 80’s throwback meets “dream-pop” sound that creates the perfect chill-time record.

Listen: “Top Bunk

Where to catch them: Friday, May 11, The Satellite, Los Angeles.

BLEACHED

Formed by sisters Jennifer and Jessie Clavin, this Los Angeles band is reviving the 80’s girl band movement with punky tracks. Sadly, only six songs have been released so far, but more are on the way.

Listen: “Think of You

Where to catch them: None close to home (that aren’t 21+), but let’s cross our fingers.

GARDENS AND VILLA

I first heard this band on their KCRW set and was immediately drawn to them for three reasons: their shared name with the lovely Mr. Villa, their hometown (Santa Barbara) and their incredible musical abilities. Their music is full of futuristic vibes and lead singer Chris Lynch often uses a wide array of woodwind instruments that add an earthy tone, which generates an unusual but captivating sound.

Listen: “Spacetime

Where to catch them: Sunday, April 15 and Sunday, April 22, Coachella.

FIDLAR

For those of you into harder rock, Fidlar might be your favorite on this list of bands. Their EP only has four songs, but their live show rocks so hard that a promising future is all but guaranteed.

Listen: “Max Can’t Surf

Where to catch them: Tuesday, May 8, The Whiskey, Los Angeles.

TOMORROWS TULIPS

Tomorrows Tulips is a four piece pop-meets-shoegaze band created by pro-surfer Alex Knost and his girlfriend Christina Kee. For any The Jesus and Mary Chain or Spacemen 3 fans, I highly recommend checking out their self-titled debut album.

Listen: “Eternally Teenage

Where to catch them: Nowhere as of yet, but expect more tour dates soon!

UNKNOWN MORTAL ORCHESTRA

With a self-titled debut album released last January and a projected sophomore album for August, UMO is a band to watch. The three-piece band is led by former Mint Chicks member Ruban Nielson, who combined his punk background with psychedelic rock to make an album you can’t help but groove to.

Listen: “Jello and Juggernauts

VERONICA FALLS

Veronica Falls released their first album this past September. Since their Facebook description says “Falling for a ghost like you” and they have a song titled “Found Love in a Graveyard,” I think it’s permissible to use the word “spooky” in describing their sound. Roxanne Clifford’s voice is hauntingly beautiful, as is their entire album.

Listen: “Beachy Head

Where to catch them: Currently touring in Europe, but hopefully they’ll be back soon.

BAND OF SKULLS

Band of Skulls has been making music since 2008, but I just heard a song of theirs for the first time two weeks ago and have since been addicted to their new album “Sweet Sour.” If you all know of them already, then I’m just behind the ball, but if not definitely give this English alternative rock band a listen.

Listen: “Sweet Sour

Where to catch them: Monday, April 16, The El Rey, Los Angeles.

BLOUSE

This Portland based band actually shares bassist Jacob Portrait with UMO, but the sound is completely different. BLOUSE calls their music “dreamy,” and I hear a lot of Beach House influence in their self-titled debut. The band members call their fans “dream followers,” and since “little monsters” is so last year, get up on this trend before it’s too late.

Listen: “They Always Fly Away

Where to catch them: Thursday, April 5, The Echo, Los Angeles, (18+).