Chandler Vu: The love question

Well, here we are once again. One year has passed, another has begun, and we still are stumped with the question: will you be my Valentine?

Yes, Valentine’s Day has returned and it has the country in a mad scramble for those of who are high on the Darwinian ladder.  Notice how I used the term “Darwinian” instead of love?  That is because that is all it is: the survival of the fittest.  I’m not being pessimistic. On the contrary, this is extreme optimism, just maybe not on the exact mode that one is accustomed to.  I choose to take the more enlightened approach by placing blame solely on our most basic instinct: to breed.

Humans are and always will be animals, and like all animals we must make the effort towards continuing our species and improving it.  This means weeding out those of us who are less adapted to the changing environment and who do not contain the best genes.

This evolutionary process has not, contrary to popular belief, been stopped.  It too has adapted to the changing environment.  Instead of selecting those who are the strongest and most likely to bear good offspring, it has changed tact towards those of us who are more attractive, suave, and in older cases, wealthier.

But then there are those who defy this rule and go outside of the regulations. There are times when the poor nerd does get the rich cheerleader.

So this draws to question the issue of love, does it really exist as we have envisioned it? Does this Valentine’s Day embody the true meaning of love?